Thread: 10.04 RC Firefox is broken because of Flash bug?

Beans

10.04 RC Firefox is broken because of Flash bug?

Hey,

I just upgraded to 10.04 RC 64bit and cannot start firefox anymore but get the following message back

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/abc/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so [/home/abc/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
    Attempting to load the system libmoon
    Segmentation fault
    if i rename my .mozilla folder and start a new profil, firefox will start but crash if you click on a flash video or whatever. moreover I relly need my profile, stored passwords, bookmarks,...

this is probably a crazy flash problem again but please do not redirect me to http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1358591 . this is a bug in 10.04 as it worked in 9.10 before and I would feel very uncomfortable to install some unmaintained random files the very first day I use a LTS version .

any ideas how to get firefox working (even without flash as flash works in opera without problems).

(and no, I will not create a bugreport in the launchpad; there are already sooo many about flash and flash64 -- adding just a new one will not help anybody and i am just trying to get firefox started)

thanks!
    Last edited by kjano; April 23rd, 2010 at 12:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 10.04 RC Firefox is broken because of Flash bug?

You are not running a LTS version, you are running a RELEASE CANDIDATE that will become a LTS version as soon as it is officially released on April 29th.

Funny that you are comfortable to install a Release Candidate OS, but not a beta version of flash downloaded from Adobe. Not much I can do to help you then.

I'm running Firefox 3.6.5pre from ubuntu-mozilla-daily ppa with the 64bit flash version (from the link you don't want to go) and everything is fine. IMO, if you don't want to install the beta flash or upgrade your Firefox with a ppa, then wait for the final release of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx and hope someone else with a better attitude reports this bug soon enough.

BTW, questions about Lucid Lynx should be posted in the Lucid Lynx Testing and Discussion, not anywhere else.

Sincerely

Mr. Hide
    Last edited by lovinglinux; April 23rd, 2010 at 03:15 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    You are not running a LTS version, you are running a RELEASE CANDIDATE that will become a LTS version as soon as it is officially released on April 29th.

Funny that you are comfortable to install a Release Candidate OS, but not a beta version of flash downloaded from Adobe. Not much I can do to help you then.
    I know that this is the RC, see the thread title. that was not the point of not installing the adobe beta, see my posting. will I get updates using the manager when I install the manual package from there? do I want to use a nightly build from the mozilla ppa? my point is that the RC combination of firefox and flash on 64 bit is broken in 10.04RC and this may be a serious issue to many ubuntu users. I have not created a new bug report because there are many of them and it does not help to dublicate them (you should know that better than me). my problem is to get firefox running again, even if i cannot use flash anymore - I do not care as it runs under opera. I am very thankful for suggestions.

[...] then wait for the final release of Ubuntu Lucid Lynx and hope someone else with a better attitude reports this bug soon enough.

BTW, questions about Lucid Lynx should be posted in the [...] not anywhere else.
    puuh, after reading the undertone of your posting... you may want to revisit http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct on occasion .
    Last edited by kjano; April 23rd, 2010 at 05:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kjano View Post
    I know that this is the RC, see the thread title. that was not the point of not installing the adobe beta, see my posting. will I get updates using the manager when I install the manual package from there? do I want to use a nightly build from the mozilla ppa? my point is that the RC combination of firefox and flash on 64 bit is broken in 10.04RC and this may be a serious issue to many ubuntu users. I have not created a new bug report because there are many of them and it does not help to dublicate them (you should know that better than me). my problem is to get firefox running again, even if i cannot use flash anymore - I do not care as it runs under opera. I am very thankful for suggestions.
    You can do one of these:

• disable flash plugin in Firefox
    • remove flash from Synaptic
    • install the flash version you don't want to install
    • install a newer version of Firefox using a ppa

puuh, after reading the undertone of your posting... you may want to revisit http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct on occasion .
    Yes, I know. I shouldn't do that. To make it worse, I have even signed Mr. Hide

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    You can do one of these:

• disable flash plugin in Firefox
    • remove flash from Synaptic
    • install the flash version you don't want to install
    • install a newer version of Firefox using a ppa

thanks for your help! the first item on your list was what I did first but did not solve the problem. there must be some other file or setting from my current profile which is part of the problem. using a clear profile (e.g., by renaming .mozilla/firefox) works to a certain degree.

offtopic:

Yes, I know. I shouldn't do that. To make it worse, I have even signed Mr. Hide
    1:0 for you...

Beans
    Distro

thanks for your help! the first item on your list was what I did first but did not solve the problem. there must be some other file or setting from my current profile which is part of the problem. using a clear profile (e.g., by renaming .mozilla/firefox) works to a certain degree.
    What do you mean by a certain degree?

Now seriously, I have been helping other users with flash problems for a while and installing flash from that link you don't want to be redirected solves most of the problems for 64bit users. All that tool does is download the 64bit version from Adobe and extract it to the correct place. It can't get any better than that. You just need to get used to it, since Canonical does not distribute Ubuntu with 64bit version of flash. See the discussion here (notice the poll results).

If you don't want to install that flash and don't want to upgrade Firefox with an unstable ppa, then you could remove flash (see commands below) or download and install Firefox from Mozilla manually (how to)

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove swfdec-mozillasudo apt-get remove mozilla-plugin-gnashsudo apt-get remove adobe-flashpluginsudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree

Beans

lovinglinux, thanks for your help...

II just installed the Get64bitFlash file and tried to start firefox, still the same problem...now i am confused...

if i start with an empty profile firefox starts and works until i open a page that contains flash then it crashes with (i do not even have to click on the flashs suff,...):

LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXt.so [libXt.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library libXext.so [libXext.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /home/aaa/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so [/home/aaa/.mozilla/plugins/nppdf.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
    Attempting to load the system libmoon
    Segmentation fault
    i also removed flashplugin-installer etc from synaptic, still the same problem which renders firefox useless - maybe it is something else than flash (i created a bug report now)...?

update: I removed all flash components and all firefox-plugins, removed firefox, removed the helix/realplayer plugin and then looked for the libmoon problem. as other users reported the same libmoon firefox 10.04RC issue, i also removed libmoon and now firefox works (but reports (firefox-bin:20879): Gdk-WARNING **: XID collision, trouble ahead)! i then installed Get64bitFlash and it also works now, however, without sound (and I just noticed that the volume plugin in the gnome panel seems to be missing in 10.04RC )

great
    Last edited by kjano; April 24th, 2010 at 06:23 AM.