Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 10.4 RC "parted_server" error on install

Beans

Ubuntu 10.4 RC "parted_server" error on install

Help !

I can not install Ubuntu 10.4 RC, if I boot from the disk, it get past the Keyboard choice screen and hangs, if I try the install from Live CD Ubuntu Desktop of 10.4 RC it gets past the keyboard choice screen and gives me the error below

sorry, the program "parted_server" closed unexpectedly

And then will not go any further

Please help, this problem has been going on since Beta 2

Thanks, Dave

---

EDIT:
    I tried reporting the error and I got this message, maybe it will help with the problem ?

--
    The problem can not be reported:

The program crashed on an assertion failure, but the message could not be retrieved. Apport does not support reporting these crashes.
    Last edited by magicdave26; April 22nd, 2010 at 07:59 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 10.4 RC "parted_server" error on install

Quote Originally Posted by magicdave26 View Post
    Help !

I can not install Ubuntu 10.4 RC, if I boot from the disk, it get past the Keyboard choice screen and hangs, if I try the install from Live CD Ubuntu Desktop of 10.4 RC it gets past the keyboard choice screen and gives me the error below

sorry, the program "parted_server" closed unexpectedly

And then will not go any further

Please help, this problem has been going on since Beta 2

Thanks, Dave

---

EDIT:
    I tried reporting the error and I got this message, maybe it will help with the problem ?

--
    The problem can not be reported:

The program crashed on an assertion failure, but the message could not be retrieved. Apport does not support reporting these crashes.

Ok thanks for the help Ubuntu guys, I ended up getting help from a mainly Windows orientated forum.

(Neowin, the Windows forum to fix all your Ubuntu problems)
    (Ubuntuforums, the place to relax and clear your mind)

Solved the problem.

I had an SD Card in the card reader, removing it cured the issue

Beans

tnks a lot guys..

a small usb was plugged in, unbelievable. it was the reason. I have spent 4 hours till i see your response.

Beans

I had the same problem, unbelievable the responses you got on that forum as opposed to this one.
    In my case, it seems that the problem is a small USB that I have attached in the front.
    The problem is, im running ubuntu from that USB!!
    As I dont have cd drive in that computer, that is my only option. I hope this gets fixed.

By the way, I agree with the bug reporting problem. They ask you waaaaaaay too many questions, discouraging anyone from posting a bug.

Beans

Yea and Ubuntu have not even confirmed this as an error, they have left it unconfirmed, uncomplete

Beans

I have just come newly to Ubuntu. I have been running netbook remix from a USB on my Acer Aspire One - it runs extremely well. When I try to install it I get the "parted_server" error on install and the installation hangs. From other posts it seems the instalation doesn't like SD cards and presumably "parted_server" is trying to partition the card. However my machine is the solid state memory version with 8Gb of memory and no HD. (I needed robustness for travelling) It would seem that it is therefore possibly impossible to install ubuntu on a machine without a HD. Is this correct?
    Des

Beans

I am having the same problem. I have removed any SD cards and even removed my USB mouse. The only thing I cannot remove is the USB Flash Drive which has Unbuntu on it.

I can't install from a CD because my Asus Eee PC does not have a CD drive.

Can anyone help?

Beans

Hi there.
    I solved this on my solid state Acer - I installed the earlier version 9.something. It installs easily, and runs perfectly. Now that I am comfortable with it I am about to try an upgrade from itself avoiding the installation USB - in theory this should work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deshowell View Post
    Hi there.
    I solved this on my solid state Acer - I installed the earlier version 9.something. It installs easily, and runs perfectly. Now that I am comfortable with it I am about to try an upgrade from itself avoiding the installation USB - in theory this should work.
    Yes. Just went through this. With 10.04/10.10 I got the parted_server error, but not when I started from 9.04 -> 9.10 -> 10.04.

To all who are having troubles, just gotta do it the slow way.

Beans

I'm just finding the same problem today. I think I have forced it to install now though in a somewhat complex fashion (installing now). I won't go into great detail, as if you don't know what these steps mean then you probably don't want to be doing it this way.

I used a memory stick with grub2 and the netbook iso on it initially (but any bootable disk will do if you can get access to the iso)

1) Format your netbook harddrive in the way you would like it to end up.
    2) Mount it, and install grub2 onto the drive (grub2 --no-floppy --root-directory /mnt/foo)
    3) copy iso onto harddrive and setup grub2 to boot the iso (google for grub2 iso boot)
    4) reboot into live cd from hard drive - this avoids the need for a usb stick but means you can't format from the installer
    5) this is the important bit, do a lazy umount of the /isodevice directory (umount -l /isodevice) - otherwise the installer wont continue as the drive is already mounted
    6) run through installer but choosing things like manual partitioning and make sure you don't tell it to format anything.

Hope that helps someone!

Edit: This crashed due to out of memory shortly after posting this, so I'm still trying, but I think it would have worked.
    Last edited by lilphil; October 14th, 2010 at 10:51 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast