Thread: Has anyone lost his laptop battery in lucid?

Beans

Has anyone lost his laptop battery in lucid?

First of all, sorry for my bad english.

I have an asus eeepc 901 with lucid lynx installed since alpha 3 I remember. One day the laptop's battery began to discharge very quickly until the laptop went off. I tried to charge but it no couldn't charge more than a 13 %. Two days later it lost all of his capacity and the battery status an 0 % (but said that the battery status was good). I tried to charge more than 12 hours but nothing. The battery only have 2-3 years. I thougth it could be an ubuntu's problem but I was not sure. Today a friend told me the same problem with his battery (on an different laptop, with lucid beta 2, fully actuallised) and I start to think it really can be a lucid's problem. And now is when I make the question: Has anyone lost his laptop battery in lucid?

I hope it's only a chance because it's a serious problem if more people has lost the laptop's battery with lucid.

Beans

Re: Has anyone lost his laptop battery in lucid?

I have a eee 701 that ran a few distributions of ubuntu and won't charge anymore. However, I think my problem is either a bad power jack or a crap charger with bad capacitors.

It won't charge unless I press the the connection at the jack to an extreme angle and even then the charger makes an awful squealing sound, like a dieing squirrel or something, and the charge light stops blinking after about 5 minutes. The wall charger started squealing and my latop started charging less until it stopped almost altogether. I have yet to try replacing either part, awaiting others responses. In my case, my bet is on the wall charger.

Besides a HDD, on most laptops, especially the EEE which is meant to be moved around and unplugged a lot, the power jack is probably the most vulnerable part. I'd do some charge testing and fudding with the jack before you blame charge malfunctions on software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lepy View Post
    I have a eee 701 that ran a few distributions of ubuntu and won't charge anymore. However, I think my problem is either a bad power jack or a crap charger with bad capacitors.

It won't charge unless I press the the connection at the jack to an extreme angle and even then the charger makes an awful squealing sound, like a dieing squirrel or something, and the charge light stops blinking after about 5 minutes. The wall charger started squealing and my latop started charging less until it stopped almost altogether. I have yet to try replacing either part, awaiting others responses. In my case, my bet is on the wall charger.

Besides a HDD, on most laptops, especially the EEE which is meant to be moved around and unplugged a lot, the power jack is probably the most vulnerable part. I'd do some charge testing and fudding with the jack before you blame charge malfunctions on software.
    I don't think this happens with my battery. The power jack is perfect, and when I put my battery the charging light turn on but never stop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

(I am sorry to only confirm some critical problems with no solutions yet.)

We have two EEEs, a 701 and a 900, both having power management issues with 10.04 Lucid Lynx.
    Processor scaling is not working and the last full capacity of the battery is erroneous since the EEE battery reports this as a percentage and not in mA (Thus showing a last full capacity of 100mA, that is too low!). The fan for the EEE 701 is not running and the netbook gets HOT.
    These combined factors give a very poor battery performance and possibly even risks for hardware damage on the 701.
    Last edited by Macchi; May 1st, 2010 at 10:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i sad to hear that.