Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remastersys Live CD Unable to Login

Beans

Re: Remastersys Live CD Unable to Login

Quote Originally Posted by Fragadelic View Post
    pass "break=bottom" to the live boot line and then when it stops take a look at the casper.log to find out why it isn't creating the user or setting up the login.
    I am a complete newbie to Ubuntu and whilst I have been able to work most things out, this is something beyond my ability. I have tried with 3 new Ubuntu installations, on top of a new Vista installation for good measure, but the same log-in/password request is still being prompted.

I have spent half-a-day on this now and now is time for some respite, I would be glad to hear from those who also had similar problems, mentioned herein, whether they have sorted things out and how.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If none of you can do the break=bottom I can't help you.

I just reinstalled 10.04 final and ran remastersys dist. It booted fine to the desktop. I then installed all updates to today(46 of them) and rebooted. After it came back up I created another remastersys dist and then tried that and it booted up fine to the desktop.

Something you are installing or doing is causing the problem and I need to see the casper.log info to help you. Since I can't duplicate your problem I need you to test and report.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I also need to see the remastersys.log from your system.

Beans

Dear Fragadelic,

Can you advise how I can extract the log file, on a step-by-step basis, being a newbie I am unsure how to locate find and save!

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

In order to boot with break=bottom, you need to edit the first entry when the graphical boot menu from the livecd comes up.

Before the word quiet, insert "break=bottom" without the quotes.

When it stops at the busybox initramfs prompt, the casper.log file should be right there.

If you are using a virtual machine, you can take screenshots of the pages of the casper.log and send them to me. If not, write down the error messages pertaining to the live user creation and/or gdm setup.

either one of the following will let you view the file:

less casper.log

or

more casper.log

Beans

Thanks, but I am so unfamiliar with these processes I am like to get stuck.

I have just download VirtualBox, to see whether that may be easier to test things out and see if I can do what you request, but I imagine a steep learning curve.

I will also post a copy of the customised .iso file (800+ MB) online and would be grateful if you could consider testing it out for me and giving feedback here, so other can benefit from your unique knowledge base. I will send the url to your email address.

I am seeking to learn how to create customised LiveCD's for friends and once I am more competent, to provide such to a wider public audience.

I am glad to here (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11) you have secured your own .com domain and I look forward to seeing your new website. In terms of web design, I have found useit.com a useful resource.

In order to boot with break=bottom, you need to edit the first entry when the graphical boot menu from the livecd comes up.

Before the word quiet, insert "break=bottom" without the quotes.

When it stops at the busybox initramfs prompt, the casper.log file should be right there.

If you are using a virtual machine, you can take screenshots of the pages of the casper.log and send them to me. If not, write down the error messages pertaining to the live user creation and/or gdm setup.

either one of the following will let you view the file:

less casper.log

or

more casper.log

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

PM me the link to your iso and I'll take a look at it.

Beans

SOLVED!

I used a wiped hard disk, with a new Vista install and things worked first time.

Though I have a newer issue on how make sure a specific folder I have added on my Ubuntu installation, is transferred to the new custom iso. I will (have) post a new thread on this issue to prevent confusion and possible help other user of remastersys.

EDIT: URL for new support request on issue above:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...24#post9269624

Thanks, I tried a free webhost but it does work well with large files.

PM me the link to your iso and I'll take a look at it.
    Last edited by SocialNetwork123; May 9th, 2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: new related post

Beans

Sorted out folder/doc issues via:
    http://ubuntu-ky.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?p=6866924

Quote Originally Posted by SocialNetwork123 View Post
    SOLVED!

I used a wiped hard disk, with a new Vista install and things worked first time.

Though I have a newer issue on how make sure a specific folder I have added on my Ubuntu installation, is transferred to the new custom iso. I will (have) post a new thread on this issue to prevent confusion and possible help other user of remastersys.

EDIT: URL for new support request on issue above:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...24#post9269624

Thanks, I tried a free webhost but it does work well with large files.

Beans

Hi All!

I have another problem. For me it creates successfully the image file, but when I try to boot it gives me an error:

boot:
    Loading /casper/vmlinuz…………………………………………
    Could not find ramdisk image: /casper/initrd.gz
    boot:

I tried to switch from ISOLINUX boot manager to GRUB, but there is no difference. Also I checked the iso file and there no such file indeed.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by @ddus3r; May 30th, 2010 at 07:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast