Thread: Backup with Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Backup with Clonezilla

Hi, I wanna backup the corporate server in a weekly basis, and I was wondering if clonezilla can make the job. I downloaded the live cd version of the software and made the backup. BUT, I want a way to backup the server (all disk) without user interaction in a weekly basis (say fridays at 8pm start).

How can I achieve this?

Servers are 1 windows server 2008 and the other is a Linux one with squid and shorewall on it.

If clonezilla cant do what I need, is there another open source/free solution?

regards and thanks in advance.
    Linux User#498977
    There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who dont.
    My Blog about Linux and other stuff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Backup with Clonezilla

Quote Originally Posted by X1R1 View Post
    Hi, I wanna backup the corporate server in a weekly basis, and I was wondering if clonezilla can make the job. I downloaded the live cd version of the software and made the backup. BUT, I want a way to backup the server (all disk) without user interaction in a weekly basis (say fridays at 8pm start).

How can I achieve this?

Servers are 1 windows server 2008 and the other is a Linux one with squid and shorewall on it.

If clonezilla cant do what I need, is there another open source/free solution?

regards and thanks in advance.
    Whatever you do make sure that you can restore too. For example I wanted to get a file out of a lzo clone without restoring the whole image but it seems impossible:
    http://drbl.sourceforge.net/faq/fine...mg_content.faq

Make sure its the right tool for your needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I just want complete backup/restores (including MBR), hopefully that it can be shceduled but its not a must
    Linux User#498977
    There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who dont.
    My Blog about Linux and other stuff

Beans

The problem is that in a few years when your server breaks down, your new hardware is going to be different and your backup will be useless.

It is better to backup just the data and forget about the system. At most, I keep a tar ball of /etc.

A better way is to install all your servers on VMware and then save the VMs to DVDs. If all the data is saved outside the VM on a networked storage device, then you only need to backup the data from that point on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

how often do you update your back up, im sure that alot of data maybe expanded upon or change altogether.
    0118 999 881 99 9119 725.......... 3