Thread: Very SLOW file copy speed (disk to disk)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Question Very SLOW file copy speed (disk to disk)

I'm using Ubuntu 9.1 (a freshly updated install) and have a 320G disk (sda) and a 250G disk (sdb) installed. I use the sdb drive to back up a portion of the sda drive, about 82G, at this point.

When I start the copy the speed is around 55M/sec and It tells me the estimated time is about 28 minutes. As the copy progresses the speed creeps down to less than 12M/sec, and the estimated time correspondingly increases... to about 1 hour 45 minutes.

Is this a typical issue in Ubuntu 9.1?
    Is there a solution?
    Am I doing something wrong?
    Is there some mystical powder I should be sprinkling on the Terminal?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Very SLOW file copy speed (disk to disk)

Without any sources to backup my claim I can't be 100% sure but since I always have had the same speeds you are describing I don't think it's Ubuntu/Linux's fault. Filetransfer depends on several factors:

Filesize. Anything small (like text-files, pictures and so on) will reduce speed.
    Fragmentation. Are you copying to/from a NTFS-formated drive?
    The drive itself also depends on several things like speed (5400rpm, 7200rpm & 10000rpm) then offcourse the age of the drive have a say in this. Older drives are much slower than new ones.

One thing you could do is to run a drivetest using hdparm:
    http://www.linuxinsight.com/how_fast_is_your_disk.html

A small warning though, don't use hdparm with other parameters then the "-t" unless you have read the man for hdparm:
    Code:
    man hdparm
    Te - Danish Translator of Debian & Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have also the same problem, but worse. When I put a USB flash drive and start copying something, Its starts at about 55MB/s but after a while, sayyy I copy 2gigs, Speed drops dramatically to 500KB/s, this sucks because I have to be constantly copying files to usb flash drives.

hope someone has a solution for this

In windows I can copy full speed and transfer rate is very consistent.
    Linux User#498977
    There are only 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who dont.
    My Blog about Linux and other stuff

Beans

If your USB disk is NTFS-formatted - there is no solution, except reformating it with FAT32.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CannibalZerg View Post
    If your USB disk is NTFS-formatted - there is no solution, except reformating it with FAT32.
    Why do you think that?
    All benchmarking between the two filesystems are only showing a 5% advantage towards FAT32 but that will not compensate for the speed missing between 0.5 mb/s and 50-80 mb/s. Besides, NTFS is more stable than FAT & FAT32 so unless formating to EXT3 or EXT4 there simply is no point. A transfer rate of 0.5 mb/s is the same speed USB 1.1 is running at, so chances are that some of the hardware isn't configured right or missing some drivers.
    Te - Danish Translator of Debian & Ubuntu

Beans

Same problem here:

I'm trying to do an image of my disk in an external hard drive with dd tool, it's very very very slow:
    After 1/2 hour, 20 Gb have been copied.
    After 1 hour, 27 GB
    After 2 hours, 40 GB
    After 4 hours, 54 GB
    After 8 hours, 71 GB
    And so on...

It seems to be an exponential law, so for 320 GB, it can last at least 3 days...

Any idea of what can I do?

Thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The default block size for dd is non-optimal. Try something on the order of a megabyte.

To mirror sda to sdb:
    dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

To create an image file of the first partition on sda onto the filesystem of a drive that you've mounted:
    dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/media/backup_diskname/myfilename.dd bs=1M

Beans

Does anyone have a solution for this problem ?

I don't have it when the ntfs discs are NOT automatically mounted at startup.

You have to mount them manually each time at startup, but then the speed is normal. I think the problem might be in ntfs-3g.

Maybe if you change the mounting options in the startup file (I think fstab but i'm not sure) you can get some results.