Thread: gnome-keyring-daemon weirdness.

Hybrid View

Beans

gnome-keyring-daemon weirdness.

I'm running an up-to-date installation of Lucid, and have come upon a little problem. It seems that applications are having trouble communicating with gnome-keyring-daemon.

When I connect to wireless networks -- even ones that are in the network manager -- it always asks me for a password.

Gwibber is crashing because it can't connect to the gnome keyring daemon.

And when I open the Passwords and Encryption Keys utility (on the Accessories menu), I get the error: "Couldn't communicate with key ring daemon."

I have verified that the daemon is starting up when I log in, that all of the appropriate keyring-related login items (certificate and key storage, secret service, & SSH key agent) are in place, and that the keyring works in other accounts on my machine. I have tried deleting my extant keyrings, but that has produced any success. And when I kill and restart the keyring daemon once I'm already logged in, the problem seems to abate.

I'm kind of at a loss here. Any help?

PS -- By the way: I don't know if it matters, but for OS X compatibility purposes, I'm running as a UID under 1000.

Beans

Re: gnome-keyring-daemon weirdness.

I hate to bump my own thread, but I find this problem really confounding.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: gnome-keyring-daemon weirdness.

I'm having similar issues, also with the updated lucid release.

I'd open a bug somewhere, but don't know where it should go. I'll look around some more, but for now --

The keyring daemon is running, but not doing something right:
    $ pgrep -fl key
    5365 /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon -daemonize

Killing and restarting at least fixes the issue with a few things.
    $ pkill keyring
    $ /usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon -d
    GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/tmp/keyring-rcxXDQ
    SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/keyring-rcxXDQ/ssh
    GNOME_KEYRING_PID=14202

I'm hoping someone has more info....

Beans

I actually resolved my problem this afternoon. Though perhaps not in the most painless way. I backed up my data, deleted my account, and created a new one. It took an hour or so to restore my settings.
    Not a method I'd recommend, but it worked in the end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For reference, I've been making some progress. I checked /var/lib/auth.log and saw issues with cracklib. Some of the issues were resolved by redoing PAM auth:

% sudo pam-auth-update --force

Under Applications->Accessories->Passwords and Encryption Keys, I deleted all the old keys, since I was also having problems with Ubuntu One. Those issues have now been resolved.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that things are back to (or closer to) normal.

Beans

I spoke too soon when I said I resolved this. After working for a couple of days, I'm back to not being able to connect to the gnome-keyring-daemon. Looking at my auth.log, I seem to get the following error:

u300 gnome-keyring-daemon[2595]: couldn't connect to dbus session bus: /bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally with the following error: No protocol specified#012Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.
    Apr 25 17:32:59 atu300 gnome-keyring-daemon[2595]: gkd_dbus_secrets_startup: assertion `dbus_conn' failed
    Apr 25 17:33:00 atu300 gnome-keyring-daemon[2595]: The SSH agent was already initialized
    Apr 25 17:33:00 atu300 gnome-keyring-daemon[2595]: gkd_dbus_secrets_startup: assertion `dbus_conn' failed

Any thoughts on resolving this?