Thread: stupid windows deleting grub

Beans

stupid windows deleting grub

I run 3 OS's: Win vista, win 7, and ubuntu. Every month I reinstall windows 7 (because I dont have a key), and everytime I do that it reinstalls the MBR. After that, I cant access ubuntu. I have used live cd's to try and reinstall grub with no sucess. What is the easiest way to achieve this? I was hoping I could make a CD to pop in my computer that could reinstall grub as it should be, or atleast boot me into ubuntu, and work from there. But even if I get into ubuntu, I dont know the commands to reinstall grub with autodetect of the other OS's. I have fixed this problem before, but now I cant remember what I did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Re: stupid windows deleting grub

I would change the world, but they wont give me the source code

MD5 - Check your Hash | GPG Errors? - Click Here | Remastersys - Guide

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

what the problem is:

- every time you reinstall windows, the boot loader is reinstalled too
    ( i dont know how many hdd you have but let say windows install its bootloader on the 1st hdd on the 1st parttion (default))

- when you have installed ubuntu i suppose you have let the installer install grub by default, ie the same place than windows, here is the problem.

what to do: grub have to be installed on the ubuntu mbr partition
    ie : if ubuntu installed on /dev/sdc1, install grub on /dev/sdc

Now you have to boot ubuntu with a cd or usb stick (unetbootin), then into console: grub-install to choose the good place, then:

sudo grub-mkconfig && update-grub

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I am assuming that you are using grub as your default bootloader.

Once you fix the MBR as pointed out in the link by Colorless prism, what you could do is to boot into windows and backup the mbr from windows to an external media. You can then restore it from there (assuming that you do not modify any of the partitions). There is a utility that you can download in windows mbrwiz that will help you in creating and restoring mbr.

Beans

@ colorlessprism: thanks for the link, it looks very helpful and I will TRY that next time I re-install win7, but it looks very complicated (I'm a noob)

@dino99: Yours was the method I had used previously. I only have one HD, with about 6 partitions. I tried your method, but didnt know what my HD was referred to (/dev/sdc .. etc.) so I kept getting errors. What is the command to list the devices/partitions? I thought it was lspci, but thats not giving me what I wanted.

@john: I like your idea, I will try that one first next time I re-install win7

Thank you everyone for the quick replies, but I may be back in about 26 days, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    DUAL BOOT XP & Natty, Trying LFS

Beans

THAT was it! thanks spiky