Thread: Zeus 1.6 virus and Firefox

Beans

Zeus 1.6 virus and Firefox

Just got an email from my Father in law about FireFox and the Zeus 1.6 virus.

What implications will this have with Linux distros that use FireFox as the default browser?

http://www.lfpress.com/news/world/20.../13666971.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Zeus 1.6 virus and Firefox

No worries, it's Windows-only. And really, ZeuS isn't so much a single operation so much as it's a customizable framework (sometimes called a "crimeware kit") that acts as a component of several different campaigns. And it's not a virus, in the sense that it doesn't replicate by infecting files (though I suppose that eventually it does compromise certain services and libraries, so maybe it partially is). It's a trojan that is installed by its victims themselves. I believe the primary method of propagation is spam emails that contain links to either the executable or a zip file that has the executable inside. The messages pretend to be something else, of course (in many cases it has something to do with law enforcement, government agencies, or shipping companies).

Beans

perhaps if you were running win xp in virtualbox, you could be compromised though...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I never turn back the day i stopped using microsoft OS and happy using Ubuntu.If you wanna safe,refrain using dual boot or virtual box running any Microsoft OS in order to ease your mind of any malware /virus attacks.

http://www.malwarehelp.org/find-and-...ojan-2009.html

Beans

Xp machines are getting compromised by rootkits like mad. Especially the fake AV stuff. I've seen it on machines with various AVs ranging from Symantec Corp, AVG, and Mcafee and they up to date. I've seen it on machine behind Sonic Walls. Bottom line is running around on the web with full admin rights and click happy, uneducted users is a recipe for disaster.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've removed 6535 viruses from a computer once, I can't give any details (government employee computer, and no it wasn't NSA or anything like that) but I certainly was surprised and I came to the conclusion long ago that 90% of these viruses are caused by user ignorance (not counting antivirus ignorance). the other 10% are flash drive based or various targeted attacks
    if you need a fast live cd for testing or anything really:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...70#post9715370
    boots live in just 82MB of ram, no swap!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wacky_sung View Post
    I never turn back the day i stopped using microsoft OS and happy using Ubuntu.

Yes, I even snubbed the Xbox 360 in favour of the PS3 (shinier too).

Though I did own a Zune at one point

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by bumder View Post
    Yes, I even snubbed the Xbox 360 in favour of the PS3 (shinier too).

Though I did own a Zune at one point
    ooo...shiny

and it used to run linux
    if you need a fast live cd for testing or anything really:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...70#post9715370
    boots live in just 82MB of ram, no swap!