Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: HOWTO: use gnome-dictionary offline (& faster)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: use gnome-dictionary offline (& faster)

that's great ,change the traditional patterns,and more faster

Beans

Thanks! It helps me.

Beans

I had a similar need as the original posted, and so went and wrote glance.

http://www.gulecha.org/2010/12/24/gl...r-word-lookup/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello everyone, I managed to use the dictionary by changing localhost to 127.0.0.1 on Lucid 10.04. Problem is, I can't choose to use all the dictionaries at the same time.

I can choose any of them individually and the other results appear as similar words, but they won't show on the same definition =X

If anyone can help, thanks =]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jjf View Post
    4. work in progress: Change the order in which definitions appear
    -- The file /etc/dictd/dictd.order apparently controls the order in which definitions are searched, the order in which they appear, or maybe both. I want the up-to-date definition (from wn) to be listed first when they are available, so I changed my order to "wn gcide web1913..." It does not appear to have made any difference -- the old-fashioned definition still appears first.
    After change the order in /etc/dictd/dictd.order, need to execute
    # sudo dictdconfig -w

Then, the file /var/lib/dictd/db.list is updated. Restart dictd and enjoy it.

Beans

i have installed the above said packages in my ubuntu 11.04 but there is no icon of dictionary in accessories.please help me .where is the icon how to use the dictionary.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Indeed; In 10.04, I had the dictionary applet for the gnome-panel installed so that I have quick access to dictionary; I am not sure, however,how to do this in 12.04 (i.e; have the applet in the panel!)? Help is appreciated thanks
    [Dell Studio XPS 1640] [Core2Duo P8700 2.53GHz] [500/4GB][ATI Radeon HD 4670] [12.04/Win7]
    [Dell Inspiron 8600] [? 1.73GHz] [80/1 GB] [-] [10.04/XP]
    [No Brand] [PIII (Coppermine) 1GHz] [80GB/248 MB] [-] [#!/lubuntu 11.10/XP]

Beans

Re: GoldenDict, for the win Re: HOWTO: use gnome-dictionary offline (& faster)

Quote Originally Posted by silentstone View Post
    Another alternative is GoldenDict: http://goldendict.org/screenshots.php GoldenDict offers that plus grouping of multiple dictionaries and quick switching between those, simultaneous offline/online dictionary sources, audio play, and adding any website or file as a source. On a GNOME desktop, Artha is better, but for sheer volume of features, GoldenDict takes the cake, and isn't too bad running QT4 interface on GNOME desktop. It's in the Ubuntu repos.
    Goldendict is a great software. Initially I wanted to get gnome-dictionary (probably obsolete by the time I write this post) to work with the "search all databases" option as stated in the original post. I was unable to find this option on my Ubuntu 12.04 x64, and started to look for any workarounds. Google pointed me to this post. The only solution that I have found was:

#apt-get install goldendict goldendict-wordnet

and then launch the application via Dash Home -> goldendict. The first time it starts, this application makes an inventory of all other locally available dictionaries, running through dictd server. Me, I had many of them, since I had installed all free dictionaries of English + French + German I had found, by running:

# apt-get install dict-freedict-eng-fra dict-freedict-fra-eng dict-freedict-eng-rom dict-freedict-eng-deu dict-freedict-fra-deu dict-freedict-deu-eng dict-freedict-deu-fra dict dict-gcide dict-wn wbritish-large wfrench wamerican-large trans-de-en dict-moby-thesaurus dictionaries-common iamerican ifrench dictd wordnet
    Last edited by ubu21; August 25th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: GoldenDict, for the win Re: HOWTO: use gnome-dictionary offline (& faster)

Thanks for the suggestion, but my solution is still not solved!

All I need is an always-ready applet "in the panel" when I want to search for a word (preferably, gnome-dictionary-applet); I do not want to open over & again a software every time I want to search for a word!

thanks again
    [Dell Studio XPS 1640] [Core2Duo P8700 2.53GHz] [500/4GB][ATI Radeon HD 4670] [12.04/Win7]
    [Dell Inspiron 8600] [? 1.73GHz] [80/1 GB] [-] [10.04/XP]
    [No Brand] [PIII (Coppermine) 1GHz] [80GB/248 MB] [-] [#!/lubuntu 11.10/XP]

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456