Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Call for testing: X.org server update [URGENT]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Call for testing: X.org server update [URGENT]

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    I have to use Vesa driver on two of my machines. I take it that this doesn't affect them?

Edit: just realised: of course, I can't enable Compiz with Vesa driver, so irrelevant, I think.
    It seems only to apply to KMS configurations (nouveau and intel only support KMS; radeon defaults to KMS, but it can be reverted to UMS/DRI1 with the boot parameter radeon.modeset=0).

Beans

I would love to test this, but I can't seem to get compiz to enable itself with Nouveau right now.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1455356

This topic suggests that the latest kernel does not include the nouveau backport. Is this correct? How could I go about getting it to work? I'd like to ensure this bug report get solved with enough information!

Beans
    Distro

Ok, going to install the packages now. I've a Geforce4 MX440, which hasn't been tested yet apparently

Edit: Hang on a sec, it doesn't effect the Nvidia-96 driver does it? So me testing would be pointless?
    Acer Aspire T650, 3GHz PIV 1.4Gb RAM ATi Radeon Xpress 200
    320+80GB SATA Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic x86_64 Windows XP Home SP3

Linux Expresso - Now featuring videos of my systems!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncellor View Post
    I would love to test this, but I can't seem to get compiz to enable itself with Nouveau right now.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1455356

This topic suggests that the latest kernel does not include the nouveau backport. Is this correct? How could I go about getting it to work? I'd like to ensure this bug report get solved with enough information!
    You probably need the xorg-edgers repository to enable DRI in nouveau. However, by enabling that repository, you are also upgrading to a newer upstream Xserver release which no longer has the GEM memory leak.

I believe an alternative is the freshgraphics PPA, which only upgrades the Mesa packages - if you use that option, then you may benefit from this Xserver update - as long as the lower GLX version string doesn't break anything.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Edit: looking again and I'll be snookered if I can see an Edit link? It's like my fonts + resolution just hide things.
    You need to log in before the edit link shows up... In your screenshot, you're not logged in (and so it says 'Immutable Page').

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by psyke83 View Post
    You probably need the xorg-edgers repository to enable DRI in nouveau. However, by enabling that repository, you are also upgrading to a newer upstream Xserver release which no longer has the GEM memory leak.

I believe an alternative is the freshgraphics PPA, which only upgrades the Mesa packages - if you use that option, then you may benefit from this Xserver update - as long as the lower GLX version string doesn't break anything.
    I just tried this. It does not work. It tries to get me to install the proprietary driver instead. I had upgraded Mesa and the nouveau libs (from the xorg-edgers as it was a dependency).
    Last edited by Chauncellor; April 21st, 2010 at 11:51 PM.

Beans

I would like to test this patch for my GMA 945, but for whatever reason Xorg defaults on some other driver and not the "intel" one. I just looked around for xorg.conf and found out that there have been changes since Ye Olden Dayes of xorg.conf and it is no more (I'd also LOVE to turn on Compiz, more reason for testing!), how would I go about doing this?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've got a problem with xserver-xorg on my EeePC 900 which I don't think is related. I've filed a separate bug. I hadn't thought of using Vesa driver so thanks for the tip.
    Please, people, remember to BACKUP before you install that new system. Same if you're upgrading.

Beans

There was just an entry with my same card (Nvidia 8600GT). The entry says it fails. Mr. Anthony Hook, how did you test this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncellor View Post
    There was just an entry with my same card (Nvidia 8600GT). The entry says it fails. Mr. Anthony Hook, how did you test this?
    Note that's he's using the open-source nouveau driver.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast