Thread: Mount other partitions with ro/rw access by default

Beans

Mount other partitions with ro/rw access by default

Hello all,

I have a dual boot system having Win7 + Ubuntu 9.10. It has 2 NTFS partitions & 2 ext3 partitions.

When I boot in ubuntu, these partitions (other than the root partition) appear in the nautilus when I open my computer. When I double-click & open these partitions, they are opened in read-only mode by default. How do I change this behavior? I want some partitions to be mounted as rw as default where as some partitions should be mounted as ro. The fstab does not have entries for these partitions. I assume that these are loaded at runtime. So where can I set the access mode for these partitions?

Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mount other partitions with ro/rw access by default

You can simply edit the /etc/fstab file.

execute in your terminal sudo blkid, search for the uuid of the desired partition and add this to fstab like this:

Code:
    UUID=1FD0-4F64    /media/#the name you give your disk#        auto    rw        0    0

Beans

Do NOT mount your Win7 boot partition read-write.

While the mounting is unlikely to cause any problems, if you change anything in there, your Win7 OS is unlikely to be able to boot again.

Would be best to leave that partition as read-only.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    Do NOT mount your Win7 boot partition read-write.
    Yes. That is exactly what I want to do. Somehow, my NTFS partitions are mounted as rw where as my ext3 partitions are mounted as ro by nautilus. I want the opposite of this.

I check fstab but there is no entry for any of these partitions in fstab. Hence I am curious how the access mode is decided for the partitions if they are not mentioned in fstab.