Thread: Lucid Lynx Doesn't See full Gig of RAM

Beans

Lucid Lynx Doesn't See full Gig of RAM

Started noticing the beta get choked up by Firefox. It may have started before I upgraded for testing though. So I checked out the memory usage. Here, Lucid only recognizes 514 of the factory installed 1,028Mg of RAM. Though, I'm thinking it's possible the memory is damaged because the BIOS setup shows the same amount. Memtest too.

Are there any programs, beyond the memtest, that I could run?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Lucid Lynx Doesn't See full Gig of RAM

Check in your BIOS if you dont have an onboard video card that is using your RAM. 500Mb seems like a lot for a videocard to use, but 128 or 256Mb is not uncommon (and usually pointless, especially if you only have 1GB). See if you can reduce it to 64Mb or so.

If thats not it, then indeed its probably faulty ram. Try opening your machine and reseat the modules, they might make bad contact.

Beans

Re: Lucid Lynx Doesn't See full Gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by P4man View Post
    Check in your BIOS if you dont have an onboard video card that is using your RAM. 500Mb seems like a lot for a videocard to use, but 128 or 256Mb is not uncommon (and usually pointless, especially if you only have 1GB). See if you can reduce it to 64Mb or so.

If thats not it, then indeed its probably faulty ram. Try opening your machine and reseat the modules, they might make bad contact.
    Well, my guess is that it's a problem with the motherboard. I pulled both strips, and plugged them in one at a time. The 1st slot returns (no matter which strip is used) 1 long beep, 3 short beeps, 3 short beeps, 1 long beep. I called Toshiba to ask for BIOS error beep codes (I can't find them online) and they said they didn't have them.

I did find this link http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic95391.html. But unless I know Toshiba's codes, I won't know 100%. I've used the "Nintendo Blowing" technique and it still happens. The laptop is over four years old and the case recently cracked heavily in a lot of spots, the LCD screen is going, so it's just time for a new one. I even checked with the wonderful Geek Squad, and they assured me the manufactures of the parts give NO WARRANTY for replacement MOBOs. How stupid is that?! Oh, well. It lasted 4 years I guess. Still runs with 500mg ram, just... really annoying!
    Last edited by joebrueske; April 21st, 2010 at 10:36 PM.