Thread: Killed my network manager after deleting login.keyring

Beans

Killed my network manager after deleting login.keyring

I couldn't get wireless to work when it needed WPA2 encryption. I found some suggestions that I delete the login.keyring file, I did that. It didn't fix the network manager. It just made it not work at all. Even with wired connections it just sits there with the thing spinning around and never lets me actually get on the internet, saying it's waiting for an address or something. I tried to purge network manager, maybe reinstall it, but then it occured to me I can't use apt if I can't get online....

Also, I'm using linux mint 8, which isn't ubuntu, but is pretty close, if that matters.

NOTE: I am not above brute force methods using command line and scripting if that is what it takes. On a previous installation of ubuntu 8.04, it stopped mounting USB drives and SD cards, so I mounted them manually. Also had to use python to write volume control scripts for OSS because it stopped reading the volume buttons on my laptop. If you know a way to use command line to get online, I would be willing to try.
    Last edited by Dorrax; April 20th, 2010 at 11:46 PM. Reason: wanted to add more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Killed my network manager after deleting login.keyring

Have you tried changing your router to use WEP encryption? If that doesn't work, post the output of these terminal commands...
    Code:
    ifconfig

iwconfig
    also, did you restore the keyring file?
    Last edited by pastalavista; April 21st, 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

One more trick... open Synaptic settings/repositories and put your Mint CD in the drive and check 'Use CD as repository' or something like that, to reinstall the Network Manager.

Beans

It's for my university's wireless network. Their IT webpage specifically states that linux is not supported, and if it weren't for the math department being nicer about it, I wouldn't have any clue to get on at all.