Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firefox can't establish connection to server

Beans

Firefox can't establish connection to server

Hey everybody, i'm still new to ubuntu but i'm a capable person and have made the switch from windows, yay! So my problem i believe is within firefox or ubuntu because i can connect to the same server when i boot up using windows7. Anyway, i don't know much about networks and such and i was hoping someone could help me out with this. Here is a copy of the error message i get:

Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ftp.idsoftware.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

I know this has to do with gaming but i get the same message when i try to connect to my schools email server. What i have tried on my own is disabling my firewall, temporarily, and it had no effect so i know its not my firewall however i haven't a clue about proxy's or how they work so maybe it's that? I also know its not either of the other two problems because i wouldn't be posting this if i had that severe of a network problem. Any help at all with this would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Beans

Re: Firefox can't establish connection to server

Are you on a network? Are you connecting to this site OK?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It looks to me like you're trying to connect to an ftp server rather than a regular web page. Usually Firefox doesn't handle ftp very well. If I have to upload or download files using ftp I usually use the FireFTP plugin for Firefox or just type the address of the ftp server into the location bar of Nautilus (the standard Ubuntu file manager). What does this page usually do when you access it in Windows? When you use it in Windows do you access it using Firefox or using Internet Explorer? My impression is that IE has a bit more flexibility for doing ftp transfers in the main browser window, but I suspect this comes with some security trade-offs.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Can you connect through it's ip address: http://192.246.40.185/

Beans

Ok, i'm able to connect to other websites and surf the net just fine, I can even connect through the ip address given.

I am connecting to an ftp server heres the address:ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/qua....32b-3.x86.run

I got the "Fireftp" add-on installed I'm reading through the support pages to figure out how to work it.

I've tried the nautilus thing though I'm not sure if you meant use the "Connect To Server..." button or app because that doesn't work either I keep getting an error message: Cannot display location "ftp://anonymous@ftp:0//ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake3/linux/linuxq3apoint-1.32b-3.x86.run%0A:21" Error resolving 'ftp': No address associated with hostname

I'm not sure what all that means other than i cant connect to the server still, lol. Any other suggestions would be helpful I'll give any idea a shot and I appreciate the help from everyone so far, thanks.

Beans

Well, I'm stumped now... I've been trying to connect to the server using FireFTP and I keep getting "Unable to make connection. Please try again later." error. I've tried changing the connection type to almost every combination possible hoping to get lucky and nothing has worked. If anyone is able to help me further that would be great, I could use the help. Oh and I tested making a connection to my schools email server and I just kept getting the same message so IDK. I would really like to figure this out because I could do away with windows all together and quit using it as a crutch for when things get beyond my abilities with Ubuntu.

wojox is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans

Open a new tab and put this as the url:

Code:
    ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/
    What is it your trying to do?

Beans

I'm trying to download the updates for quake 3 but I'm unable to connect to the ftp server. I keep getting the same error message "Firefox is unable to establish a connection to .... server." I've tried several ftp apps from synaptic package manager and the FireFTP add-on for Firefox and nothing will connect. I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 on my laptop i'm wondering if i should try installing the netbook version to see if it makes a difference even though i haven't had any issues otherwise with straight up 9.10. Oh and it's not just id software's server it's any ftp server, i've tried connecting to several different servers to see if it was only id software i couldn't connect to. HELP IDK WTF is wrong and i'm ready to start going to extremes to solve the issue.
    Last edited by ITIZI; April 25th, 2010 at 02:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by wojox View Post
    Open a new tab and put this as the url:

Code:
    ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/
    What is it your trying to do?
    I tried this in FireFox and I am running 8.04 Hardy, and I could connect and see all the directories. Hmm. Is someone in your household blocking gaming sites like that? Maybe your ISP?

worked fine for me.

Beans

I don't know for certain. I'm pretty sure it's my computer because I haven't been able to connect to my schools email sever even when I'm logged into their wi-fi access. The other reason for thinking this is I can access the server when I boot up with windows. I think that I might try using an earlier version of Ubuntu to see if that will resolve the issue. Time to start backing stuff up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast