Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lucid Gnome woes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lucid Gnome woes

Lol, wat?

All that stuff is in one place.
    Last edited by uRock; May 28th, 2010 at 02:58 AM.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Lol, wat?

All that stuff is in one place.
    Is that karmic or lucid?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post
    First thing I did after installing Lucid is to uninstall Gwibber and anything relating to DesktopCouch. Gwibber is nice and all, but why does it have processes running in the background even when I didn't even start the application? Removing these two cut memory consumption by HALF, from 400 on login to 200.

Another issue is the Indicator Applet. The Indicator applet took some important things out from the Notification Area, such as as volume indicator, battery indicator, and message indicator. Fine by me. But now it left an incomplete Notification Area which only has a wireless indicator, and of course whatever programs you have running in the background using a Notification Area icon.

I find this to be redundant dualism; if you took the battery and sound indicators to the Indicator applet, you could have also added the wireless indicator! So now it's like having two incomplete things that are doing the same job.

Also, I don't use evolution (and gwibber) so the notification applet is useless for me, it only uses Empathy. I would like to remove the Indicator applet and use Empathy's Notification Area icon instead. Easy? no, not really; because then I would lose the battery and sound indicators. So I am actually forced to use two incomplete applets that do the same job.

It's a shame that such a great release has these silly GUI inconveniences.
    Some of new Gnome features are the reason why I switched to Kubuntu as my primary desktop. The applets were not configurable to use my favorite email and or chat clients, making the MeMenu something I would choose not to use. I didn't like how gibber service continues to run when I only need look at my facebook account once a week. I also have an Ubuntu One account that has no files in it lol. So all in all, at this time, Gnome isn't right for me. Maybe in the near future I will go back after some more features are included up in applets/MeMenu area, but now I'm starting to find KDE4.4 more convenient than Gnome (except for the themes part... there are so many theme options in KDE to experiment with).

If gnome-shell get as many features as, and gets as customizable as, the current gnome desktop, then I wouldn't mind using it as my window manager when I go back to Ubuntu. I always liked KDE and Gnome, but always preferred to stay with Gnome. Now it seems to be the other way around.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post
    Is that karmic or lucid?
    Lucid
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    Lucid
    Ah, but its not the same applet though.

Beans
    Distro

Use what works. Notification Area shows everything I need within it. Battery/Network/Pidgin/Rhythmbox are the ones that normally show there.
    Last edited by uRock; May 28th, 2010 at 02:58 AM.
    Cheers & Beers,
    uRock™

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123