Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Gnome woes

Beans

Re: Lucid Gnome woes

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    I'm sure they will do away with the task manager once everyone is on board with the indicator. Did you check to see if there was a package to add the wireless to the indicator?
    well, let's hope; otherwise it's really annoying!

Yes, there is none (in Synaptic, at least).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Last edited by madjr; May 3rd, 2010 at 05:33 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Beans

I understand you, TheNessus, it is annoying. Forcing a person to use two things that do the same thing and eat twice as much memory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chris4585 View Post
    I understand you, TheNessus, it is annoying. Forcing a person to use two things that do the same thing and eat twice as much memory.
    No ones forcing you to do anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post
    thanks! I have filed a bug report
    cool

you have a link or links? others may find them annoying too and it gets higher up the queue

it may get fixed by final release day, if not it should come with an update.

the Gwibber is probably much higher priority cause of the memory leak
    Last edited by madjr; April 21st, 2010 at 03:08 AM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This should really be in Lucid Testing & Discussion, IF you check out the threads in the sub-forum your questions will be answered. Moved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    cool

you have a link or links? others may find them annoying too and it gets higher up the queue

it may get fixed by final release day, if not it should come with an update.

the Gwibber is probably much higher priority cause of the memory leak
    I don't think Gwibber has a mem leak bug, it's just a heavy appplication using other heavy applications such as DesktopCouch. Its mem usage remains constant (no leak, just uses a lot of memory)

Here is a link to the bug report (marked INVALID, since it is a duplicate bug report; issue will be fixed next release)
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpapercuts/+bug/567499
    Last edited by TheNessus; April 21st, 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Looks like Mark Shuttleworth posted a new blog at a right time.

He addresses the current segmentation of the indicator applet and the notification area.

From http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/347
    When we set up Project Ayatana to improve the usability of the whole desktop, we called it Ayatana because we were focused on the “sphere of consciousness”, one’s awareness of what’s going on outside of the current application. There are two key aspects to the work:

1. Notifications are “awareness distilled” in the sense that you cannot interact with them at all. We designed them as ephemeral “click-transparent” messages, implemented in Notify-OSD. Their sole purpose is to notify you of transient events.
    2. Indicator Menus combine persistent awareness of a state with a set of options for modifying that state.

In this blog I’ll outline the arc of our work on indicator menus to date, and the trajectory we expect it to follow. We’re about a year into the effort, all told, and I think it will take another 18 months before we can consider it baked. It should be done by 12.04 LTS. This is an iterative process, and things are in flux right now. I hope, when we are happy that we can commit to ABI stability, that Gnome and KDE will adopt the work too. For the moment, the rapid pace of evolution has meant that we’re depending on fantastic upstreams to keep up with us as things move.
    Goals of the Ayatana Indicators

The indicators are designed to create a persistent awareness of state, or an awareness of a persistent state. They complement notifications: they are persistent, when notifications are ephemeral. You might miss a notification, but you should always be able to check your indicators. You can interact with indicators, using their menus, in contrast with the un-clickable notifications.
    [continues...]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    No ones forcing you to do anything.
    Obviously if I remove one of the applets I lose part of the functionality. So I can't remove what I want without losing something else I need.
    Last edited by chris4585; April 21st, 2010 at 10:23 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast