Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lucid Gnome woes

Beans

Lucid Gnome woes

First thing I did after installing Lucid is to uninstall Gwibber and anything relating to DesktopCouch. Gwibber is nice and all, but why does it have processes running in the background even when I didn't even start the application? Removing these two cut memory consumption by HALF, from 400 on login to 200.

Another issue is the Indicator Applet. The Indicator applet took some important things out from the Notification Area, such as as volume indicator, battery indicator, and message indicator. Fine by me. But now it left an incomplete Notification Area which only has a wireless indicator, and of course whatever programs you have running in the background using a Notification Area icon.

I find this to be redundant dualism; if you took the battery and sound indicators to the Indicator applet, you could have also added the wireless indicator! So now it's like having two incomplete things that are doing the same job.

Also, I don't use evolution (and gwibber) so the notification applet is useless for me, it only uses Empathy. I would like to remove the Indicator applet and use Empathy's Notification Area icon instead. Easy? no, not really; because then I would lose the battery and sound indicators. So I am actually forced to use two incomplete applets that do the same job.

It's a shame that such a great release has these silly GUI inconveniences.
    Last edited by TheNessus; April 20th, 2010 at 05:23 PM.

Beans

Re: Lucid Gnome woes

How much RAM do you have?
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    How much RAM do you have?
    but this is irrelevant, had I had 4gb it would still annoy me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

did you reported the bug or papercut (usability issues)?

you still in time before final release

also i dont get the notification area thing, can you show a screeny?
    Last edited by madjr; April 20th, 2010 at 05:54 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    did you reported the bug or papercut (usability issues)?

you still in time before final release

also i dont get the notification area thing, can you show a screeny?
    Where could I report a papercut? in the lucid testing forum?

I'm on KDE now, give me some minutes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post
    then I would lose the battery and sound indicators. So I am actually forced to use two incomplete applets that do the same job.
    You can uninstall just the messaging part of the indicator. You might also be able to install a wireless indicator. They are all different packages even though they use the same indicate applet. It really is a cool thing people just have to learn to use it, and Ubuntu has to put out defaults that make more sense. Give them time.

Beans

here, a screenshot of only what's bothering me

You can uninstall just the messaging part of the indicator. You might also be able to install a wireless indicator. They are all different packages even though they use the same indicate applet. It really is a cool thing people just have to learn to use it, and Ubuntu has to put out defaults that make more sense. Give them time.
    But still, don't do two of them do basically the same job? only that one of them also shows programs running in the background. It would make a lot more sense to seperate the two: one for things like power, sound, wireless, language, etc. And one for programs. It's so annoying have two of them. And notice in the screenshot, that the indicator has no handle, and the notification area does (those 3 lines at its left), making it an ugly inconsistency.
    Last edited by TheNessus; April 20th, 2010 at 06:21 PM.

Beans

here, a screenshot of only what's bothering me

You can remove the message indicate package, and still keep everything else. I'm not talking about removing the gnome applet called indicator. I'm talking about removing the package called message indicator or what ever it's called. google it. That will leave the indicator on the task bar but remove the messaging portion of it. You may also be able to ad a wireless indicator, which if it exist would add a wireless icon to the indicator you already have in your task bar.

sudo apt-get remove "name of the message indicator package"

Add: If a wireless package for the indicator doesn't already exist I'm sure someones working on it.
    Last edited by swoll1980; April 20th, 2010 at 06:28 PM.

Beans

You can remove the message indicate package, and still keep everything else. I'm not talking about removing the gnome applet called indicator. I'm talking about removing the package called message indicator or what ever it's called. google it. That will leave the indicator on the task bar but remove the messaging portion of it. You may also be able to ad a wireless indicator, which if it exist would add a wireless icon to the indicator you already have in your task bar.

sudo apt-get remove "name of the message indicator package"

Add: If a wireless package for the indicator doesn't already exist I'm sure someones working on it.
    Ok, both things aren't what the issue is about. To clarify:

If I uninstall the messaging part of the indicator applet, I would still be left with battery and sound indicators in the applet. So far so good. The Wireless indicator (and language input indicator) are in the Notification Area (so basically, two applets doing the same job only with different indicators...).

It would be best to actually have the battery, sound, wireless, and all the rest of them, all in the notification area, as they always were... and have an OPTION to have some of them be seperately in the the Indicator applet.

As it is, after all - two applets showing different indicators; an unexplained split, a confusing and annoying redundancy.

Beans

Ok, both things aren't what the issue is about. To clarify:

If I uninstall the messaging part of the indicator applet, I would still be left with battery and sound indicators in the applet. So far so good. The Wireless indicator (and language input indicator) are in the Notification Area (so basically, two applets doing the same job only with different indicators...).

It would be best to actually have the battery, sound, wireless, and all the rest of them, all in the notification area, as they always were... and have an OPTION to have some of them be seperately in the the Indicator applet.

As it is, after all - two applets showing different indicators; an unexplained split, a confusing and annoying redundancy.
    I'm sure they will do away with the task manager once everyone is on board with the indicator. Did you check to see if there was a package to add the wireless to the indicator?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast