Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Ubuntu not called Gubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Why is Ubuntu not called Gubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Considering that Kubuntu is an "official derivative", it seems confusing to not put it under the umbrella of the Ubuntu name, much like how all versions of Windows are all Windows, despite the significant differences between Windows 9x and Windows NT. With Ubuntu, those differences are not quite as profound because they are restricted to the GUI, rather than the underlying system, so it would seemt o make sense to refer to both instances of Ubuntu as being Ubuntu and then referring to specific instances of Ubuntu as being Gubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etcetera.
    Windows 95, Windows XP, Vista are not derivatives of the same OS, but versions like Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu 10.04... The answer to your question is that Gnome is the "default" desktop environment for Ubuntu, the one you download from ubuntu.com. Not the one from kubuntu.com.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OP are you user or Guser ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Considering that Kubuntu is an "official derivative", it seems confusing to not put it under the umbrella of the Ubuntu name, much like how all versions of Windows are all Windows, despite the significant differences between Windows 9x and Windows NT. With Ubuntu, those differences are not quite as profound because they are restricted to the GUI, rather than the underlying system, so it would seemt o make sense to refer to both instances of Ubuntu as being Ubuntu and then referring to specific instances of Ubuntu as being Gubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etcetera.
    see, I don't want a hundred different sku's with confusing names like "ubuntu home premium" or "ubuntu enterprise n", or "ubuntu media center edition, now with KDE".
    personally, I don't find it hard to tell that kbuntu is under the same umbrella, since it ends in 'buntu'. I can't think of too many non-official spin offs that use that name.
    Things are rarely just crazy enough to work, but they're frequently just crazy enough to fail hilariously.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think this is the first time that a discussion of name semantics has occurred, so it is not really a reoccurring discussion. It would be more appropriate for this to remain in the community cafe.
    Oh, I'm sorry.

Successful troll is successful.

Is that better?
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danielrmt View Post
    Windows 95, Windows XP, Vista are not derivatives of the same OS, but versions like Ubuntu 9.04, Ubuntu 9.10, Ubuntu 10.04... The answer to your question is that Gnome is the "default" desktop environment for Ubuntu, the one you download from ubuntu.com. Not the one from kubuntu.com.
    Windows 95 is a completely different operating system than Windows XP and Windows Vista, much like how FreeBSD is a completely different operating system than Ubuntu are different operating systems. They might be able to run the same programs, but they are not the same. Since both Windows 9x (i.e. Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE and Windows ME) and Windows NT (i.e. Windows NT 3.51, Windows NT 4.0, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7) are different operating systems and are both under the Windows name, it would make sense for Gubuntu and Kubuntu to both fall under the Ubuntu name, with the Gnome Ubuntu being called Gubuntu, especially since the differences between the two are superficial.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It also makes sense to have a distribution called just 'Ubuntu' for people who are just getting started. Can you imagine what it must be like for someone who doesn't know anything about the Linux world (let alone Ubuntu) and have to decide whether he should get Gubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.?

It's better to have the one 'Ubuntu' so newcomers have a starting point, and since the Gnome version is the "default" one, then it makes sense that this is the one that's used.

Beans

Yes it is stupid the way Ubuntu does it. You will notice that no other distro does it this way.

Beans

I loled....

I first glance I though you really got a point. But Ubuntu itself is the tradmark, the word... all the rest are derivatives.

Why Coca cola wasnt called coca coca zero in the first place?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MindSz View Post
    It also makes sense to have a distribution called just 'Ubuntu' for people who are just getting started. Can you imagine what it must be like for someone who doesn't know anything about the Linux world (let alone Ubuntu) and have to decide whether he should get Gubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc.?

It's better to have the one 'Ubuntu' so newcomers have a starting point, and since the Gnome version is the "default" one, then it makes sense that this is the one that's used.
    They could just have Download Ubuntu link to a page with Gubuntu first on the page. That way new users would still have a default while the naming convention would make more sense.

Beans

Ubuntu is a Gnome distro, why doesn't it make sense for their gnome version to be called Ubuntu?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast