Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why is Ubuntu not called Gubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Why is Ubuntu not called Gubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    If you ported Explorer to Linux. You could switch 90% of the world to Linux without them knowing about it.
    Don't think 90% of the world is using Explorer...
    Profit is a Necessary Element of Philanthropy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    If you ported Explorer to Linux. You could switch 90% of the world to Linux without them knowing about it.
    This already happen with Windows, and they don't need Internet Explorer for this.
    Clients pay for Windows without knowing it. Linux is about give the choice back (even to those that don't want to chose immediately: see what did happen with Vista)

Back in topic: Ubuntu come with a default set of tools... which don't include just gnome but brasero, totem and other software. It's not meant to restrict you to this software.

Probably Mark would evaluate to switch to KDE (see the way lucid look), and the existence of Kubuntu project did stop him to evaluate the switch.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Canonical would end to make a it's own DE... which isn't possible. By sure canonical wouldn't miss the number of user to justify any project.

Look how much Ubuntu is sticky with Compiz: allow single-click for enable proprietary driver (nvidia) is something you didn't see in many other linux distro.

To me, looks like Canonical is on way to make their own way to provide DE with the freedom of choice that Microsoft and Apple grant to themselves.

Which is not a bad thing since Ubuntu offer (now and future) the most wide rage of DE than anyother Distro I'd see: IMHO.

Last edited by Ylon; April 27th, 2010 at 07:43 PM.
    Sorry for my bad English
    Before buy Check your hardware is compatible on Ubuntu Hardware Compatibility List.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Mike View Post
    Don't think 90% of the world is using Explorer...
    The DE not the browser.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    I don't think you're seeing his point -- he's saying that most people don't care what goes on under the hood. To them, the desktop environment might as well BE the OS.

For example, show your average Windows user Ubuntu with Gnome, and Ubuntu with KDE. Tell them they're both the same OS. Watch their shock
    It is possible to add a third PC running Ubuntu with KDE skinned to look like Gnome and I am sure that the average Windows user would think that Ubuntu with KDE skinned to look like Gnome has more in common with Ubuntu with Gnome than Ubuntu with KDE.

Anyway, the desktop environment is definitely not the OS, especially if you are like me and some times choose to run without a desktop environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylon View Post
    This already happen with Windows, and they don't need Internet Explorer for this.
    Clients pay for Windows without knowing it. Linux is about give the choice back (even to those that don't want to chose immediately: see what did happen with Vista)

Back in topic: Ubuntu come with a default set of tools... which don't include just gnome but brasero, totem and other software. It's not meant to restrict you to this software.

Probably Mark would evaluate to switch to KDE (see the way lucid look), and the existence of Kubuntu project did stop him to evaluate the switch.

Anyway, it wouldn't surprise me if Canonical would end to make a it's own DE... which isn't possible. By sure canonical wouldn't miss the number of user to justify any project.

Look how much Ubuntu is sticky with Compiz: allow single-click for enable proprietary driver (nvidia) is something you didn't see in many other linux distro.

To me, looks like Canonical is on way to make their own way to provide DE with the freedom of choice that Microsoft and Apple grant to themselves.

Which is not a bad thing since Ubuntu offer (now and future) the most wide rage of DE than anyother Distro I'd see: IMHO.

Gentoo Linux provides more choices in terms of desktop environments and window managers than Ubuntu does. I think this is true for Arch Linux as well. Still, Ubuntu does provide a fairly remarkable number of them and it really should be reflected in its naming convention. Imagine a Ubuntu installation with both Gnome and KDE. Exactly what do you call it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by akand074 View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think Ubuntu with gnome was the original OS made. Different versions like Kubuntu, and XUbuntu and such came after which is why they gave ubuntu with those desktop environments a different name. Also Ubuntu is based off Debian which I believe was also Gnome by default. Don't quote me on anything its just speculation.
    I believe this is correct. Ubuntu is the mainline distro, all the others are subsidiary projects.

There is a Gubuntu out there somewhere, though. Or Goobuntu, actually. You have to work at Google (Google + Ubuntu) to get your grubby little mitts on it. About half of Google's employees use it.

There also used to be an official Gobuntu distro consisting of all free software. There were 7,10 and 8.04 LTS releases; after that, Shuttleworth decided (correctly, I think) that those efforts would be better focused on helping gNewSense rather than duplicating labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Imagine a Ubuntu installation with both Gnome and KDE. Exactly what do you call it?
    Ubuntu.
    Last edited by Foster Grant; April 28th, 2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Avoiding the dreaded double-post.
    Direct complaints and/or flames to /dev/null for faster service.
    Everyone who chanted "Drill, baby, drill!" in 2008 now has to report to the coast of the Gulf of Mexico for oil-spill cleanup duty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Arcanine View Post
    Imagine a Ubuntu installation with both Gnome and KDE
    The Ubuntu CD cannot even fit GIMP,How can you expect it to fit KDE in there?

and please no 'Switch to DVD' there.
    Last edited by ssj6akshat; April 30th, 2010 at 12:52 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456