Thread: The best audio player out there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The best audio player out there?

As a former windows user, I can say that the majority of my switch over to Linux, Ubuntu in particular, went fairly well. In general I've been impressed with the quality of the software available. The only area I've found complaints with is audio players. I've tried almost all of them. After some mild disappointment, I began to see how I could go about using my old windows favorite, foobar2000. After a bit of searching, I found that v1.0 of foobar runs well under Wine v1.39.

If you have never tried foobar2000, give it a try. It's a free program, so there's really no reason not to. Configuring and learning all it's capabilities can take a little while, but it's so feature rich that you will be rewarded for your efforts.

I haven't run into any errors yet, everything works smoothly. Also, foobar2000 has a very small footprint, so even running under wine it's still less resource intensive than some other small players such as Xfmedia and Exaile.
    So if you'd like a music player that can do everything Amarok does, and much more, all with less cpu and memory usage, give foobar2000 a try.
    You can download version 1.0 of foobar here:
    http://www.filehippo.com/download_foobar2000/

I'm going to try getting the latest version of foobar, v1.0.2, running when I have the time. It really doesn't have many changes however, so using 1.0 should be fine for now.
    I'm running xubuntu and ubuntu 8.04, but people report success with karmic as well.

Beans

Re: The best audio player out there?

I like this plugin (Noise sharpening). http://foosion.foobar2000.org/compon...&version=1.0.0
    In fact, it's the only reason I use fb2k over a native Linux player.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm! Interesting, a foobar plugin I haven't tried. I looked at the HA forum thread on it, and it sounds good. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion Oh Great Khan!

Beans

I did a quick search for daap support but didn't see anything. Does foobar2000 have a plugin for connecting to a daap server?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

No, foobar2000 does not currently have support for DAAP. However, if you're looking for this as a way of setting up your own home media server, you could try using the UPnP plugin. There are probably other options for a home media server as well. If that's what your interested in, check out the foobar forums at HydrogenAudio.org for more info. For the most part, foobar focuses on great sound quality and customizability. The quality of online streaming music can be so variable, I'm not suprised that DAAP support hasn't been included with foobar.