Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scanner not detected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

scanner not detected?

hi all. I have an interesting problem: I can't scan. I've got ubuntu 9.10 fresh install and a Canon Pixma mp270, and I have installed the drivers for printing &scanning available on the canon au-site. Printing works fine.
    If I try to scan via gimp, it tells me that available scanner not found. check cable and power. but everything is fine there. nothing happens if I hit the scan button. I have connected via usb.

If I try to scan via xsane, it will try to scan through some other device, I think its the videocard since there's an old tv-card inside the computer (this is and old media center machine).

so, how do I change the default scanner for xsane? how do I make it find the correct device? I'm quite sure that this is the origin of the problem...
    I'm quite a newbie with technical stuff, so simple intructions please

Beans

Re: scanner not detected?

I checked this thread and now I'm wondering if you get more devices to choose from with your XSane application if you run it as root. Have you tried this?
    Code:
    sudo xsane
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

that seems not to be the problem, since then xsane opens like normally. with the code or not. The title of xsane when opened is the device mentioned below. but I did sane-find-scanner
    it said ' no scsi scanner found. usb scanner was (probably) detected. it may or may not be supported by xsane.' then did the terminal proposed scanimage -L and the result was 'v4l:/dev/video0 is a Noname Hauppage WinTv 34xxx models virtual device.' I wonder what that is??? not my scanner, that I can understand... Terminal also suggested to read the backends manpage, but I don't know what that means.
    Again, I think xsane is using the wrong device for scanning. how to change that? I haven't found an add a scanner box anywhere....?
    Last edited by teeliina; April 21st, 2010 at 08:35 AM.

Beans

First off, let's examine what device your Linux system reports about your usb scanner by looking at some output from your usb ports:
    Code:
    lsusb
    Post your output in this thread.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

here's what I got when I did that:
    :~$ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 04a9:173b Canon, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 059b:0470 Iomega Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 55aa:b012 OnSpec Electronic, Inc. Mitsumi FA402M 8-in-2 Card Reader
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

the canon inc is my printer, iomega an external hd, rest is a mystery to me. but what was then the device given by the scanimage -L command?

Beans

It definitely looks like your scanner is not detected.
    Debian 11 "Bullseye"
    HP Envy 2021 laptop
    Linux user since 1999.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by teeliina View Post

there's an old tv-card inside the computer
    Yes, I had the same problem with a Hauppauge PVR card. It is detected as an "optical" device, and the detection seems to stop at that point. After I was finished with my VCR tape conversion project, I pulled the PVR card and the scanner was detected correctly again. One would not think that a PCI card would interfere with something plugged on the USB bus, but ......

I would try pulling that TV card.

Also, you might need to install a package that is named "libsane-extras". It extends the list of scanner backends.
    Last edited by dabl; April 21st, 2010 at 08:50 PM.
    Intel Core i7-950 / Asus P6X58D-E / Nvidia GTX480 / siduction 64-bit on OCZ Revodrive SSD / KDE4.10.2/ Kubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok. I will try that tomorrow, then I can get some experienced assistance with the finding& removing of the Hauppage card and putting everything back together again in correct order. I have the tendency of losing small items like screws
    I will post the outcome here anyway.
    one more question, what would the lsusb output be after removing the hauppage card, since that canon inc device is both printer and scanner?and will xsane then open labelled 'canon pixma mp270 scanner' or something?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry it took this long to get back to business. (enter here 3 of your favourite excuses)

Gentlemen, we have victory. I can now scan through Gimp. Removing the tv-card really did it. To Gimp there appeared an option in File/Create/ Scangear Mp... which previously wasn't there and my scanner works.

However, the victory is still partial, since xsane won't find my scanner, root or not it will not open, just says now 'no devices found'. I downloaded the libsane-extras, but that didn' do the trick. my xsane is version 0.996 -maybe updating it could help?

All in all, I'm ready to call this problem solved, since the real issue of not being able to scan at all is solved! the quality of canon's scangear-image is sufficient. Thank you both for the help!!

Beans

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompileSaneFromSource

Edit:
    Actually, this is a better link to get your scanner working:

http://mp610.blogspot.com/2008/04/gi...shly-sane.html

This blog tells how to download and compile the latest sane source code.
    Last edited by desertdog; July 3rd, 2010 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Additional suggestion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast