Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would anyone like a new user interface? Ideas go here please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Would anyone like a new user interface? Ideas go here please

I would like to be able to change the UI, not just the theme. You know what Im saying? Like why do I have to have a square desktop? Why cant it be a circle? (yes I know the screen is square) Why cant I have a 3d interface like Cooliris as a desktop? (Cooliris is awesome BTW, you should definitely check it out!) We should have something like Bumptop. (Look it up, Its awesome too) Why cant I have Compiz with Gnome shell? I know all of this may sound stupid, but its just an idea.

I know you are probably thinking I should have as much customization as I should ever need with Compiz, but I don't. Haha. I would like to be able to completely change the UI.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? (Please remember that I know this is outlandish, Im just curious)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Would anyone like a new user interface? Ideas go here please

I just realised that I almost don't use anything from Gnome anymore - I use Compiz with AWN. It would be great for Ubuntu to decide on using something like that by default. I wonder if using Compiz and AWN will be possible on Gnome in Ubuntu 10.4.

What I would like to see in addition to AWN dock (or Docky) by default is MacOS type global menu.
    Last edited by Magnes; April 20th, 2010 at 12:03 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    I would like to be able to change the UI, not just the theme. You know what Im saying? Like why do I have to have a square desktop? Why cant it be a circle? (yes I know the screen is square) Why cant I have a 3d interface like Cooliris as a desktop? (Cooliris is awesome BTW, you should definitely check it out!) We should have something like Bumptop. (Look it up, Its awesome too) Why cant I have Compiz with Gnome shell? I know all of this may sound stupid, but its just an idea.

I know you are probably thinking I should have as much customization as I should ever need with Compiz, but I don't. Haha. I would like to be able to completely change the UI.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts? (Please remember that I know this is outlandish, Im just curious)
    Check out Gnome-shell; however, it is still in development.

Also, many of us will never clutter out desktops with so much stuff. I need my machine to run other apps, not just an OS. I will never use anything like Cooliris as a desktop and I don't think I will use Gnome-shell either. I don't even use compiz anymore.

Beans
    Hidden!

Here is an idea I had some time ago:
    http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.ph...=11952&start=0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Personally, I would like it if Ubuntu had a similiar interface of Apple's Mac pc's using gnome. I mean they don't have to make it the default but give you an option. I would really like that.

Beans
    Distro

What I would like to see in addition to AWN dock (or Docky) by default is MacOS type global menu.
    I like the Global menu as well, I wouldn't want it as default though. I like the whole osx look but Ubuntu isn't OSX and I like to keep them separated.

Check out Gnome-shell; however, it is still in development.

Also, many of us will never clutter out desktops with so much stuff. I need my machine to run other apps, not just an OS. I will never use anything like Cooliris as a desktop and I don't think I will use Gnome-shell either. I don't even use compiz anymore.
    I love gnome shell, Ive been using it for about two months now, but I cant stay away from compiz long enough to completely switch over. And on my desktop I completley agree that I dont want to clutter my desktop seeing as its where I do all of my actual work at, but on my laptop I like to have a little more fun with things. Its a multi-touch tablet, so I guess thats the reason Im looking for a more interactive UI.

Here is an idea I had some time ago:
    http://forum.compiz.org/viewtopic.ph...=11952&start=0
    I really like this Idea. And like I said, if I could have my regular desktop with the app, places, sys menu at the top within gnome shell and have compiz activated while using gnome shell, I think I would fall in love.

Personally, I would like it if Ubuntu had a similiar interface of Apple's Mac pc's using gnome. I mean they don't have to make it the default but give you an option. I would really like that.
    I agree with you, but once again, I believe this is due to the Ubuntu developers wanting to show the world that were not trying to make a mac like OS or a look alike. Were trying to make Ubuntu.

An Idea I have is to have the current gnome setup with compiz enabled and to have the cube. Instead of cube caps though we could have gnome shell at the top. (I know that may sound stupid and would probably be a programing nightmare, but thats just a look that I would like to see) Heres what I have right now, and if I could just incorporate all of that in gnome shell I would be content.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Gnome is a "desktop" not a "shell." I use Gnome because KDE is too complex and uses too much horsepower. It is also worth knowing that Compiz works with the Gnome Desktop. I have it installed and working. It isn't very fancy, but it is more interesting than a plain Gnome desktop.

As to the business of new desktops, I think we have enough going on in the Linux world. These are mostly volunteer projects in a finite base of volunteers. I think it would be wise to avoid overtaxing the available pool of talent by asking for too much.
    Putting lipstick on a pig wastes
    the lipstick and annoys the pig!

Beans
    Distro

Yes, there is a gnome desktop. There is also a gnome-shell. Google it. And there is nothing wrong with brainstorming new ideas. How do you think Ubuntu got to where it is today?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you mention a program, try to give a link if possible.

Cooliris
    Wikipedia on gnome-shell
    Gnome-Shell
    The last one has a link to instructions.
    Last edited by ubunterooster; April 21st, 2010 at 04:21 AM.
    "Meddle not with roos; thou art crunchy and grasshopper-like" ※The SABRFL※

Last edited by ubunterooster; 1 Minute ago

Beans
    Distro

I will be sure to remember for future reference Roo. Thank you. Maybe your link will clean up the Gnome-shell confusion.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast