Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on MacBookPro7,1

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on MacBookPro7,1

Quote Originally Posted by ninocass View Post
    also interested in this, have a new 7,1 that is just itching to have ubuntu installed on it!
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ.Khaos View Post
    I got the same problem on my new macbook pro (7.1). Waiting for the solution. Thanks
    Me three. I don't understand why 10.04 was released with this pretty serious bug - now we're stuck with defective LTS discs for the next two years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Managed to hook up an LG drive via an IDE to USB converter. Install battles through until it comes up with

No drives detected, and gives me a list of drivers, I've selected "none of these" from the list and put the above attachment on a USB drive, I then get an error saying no kernel modules were found

I can boot into the live OS and installed the DKMS package but i still cant access the partition. My guess is to add the modules for the whilst in the live OS and install ubuntu on the partition, reboot into the live OS again and chroot the partition and put the modules on, i could be talking out my *** tho....

any ideas?
    Last edited by ninocass; April 30th, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
    1. A computer is a machine for rearranging bits
    2. The Internet is a machine for moving bits from one place to another very cheaply and quickly

Beans

I can boot into the live OS and installed the DKMS package but i still cant access the partition.
    I'm not sure how installing applesmc is supposed to help make sata work... ?

Kind of off-topic note:
    FreeBSD 7.3 sees both drives, which seem to work flawlessly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

not sure myself i was grasping at straws to be honest lol

i dont want to switch to free BSD can we get an ubuntu work around?

nino
    2. The Internet is a machine for moving bits from one place to another very cheaply and quickly

Beans

Hi everybody, I have the same problem, too. I succeded to boot live cd only using cd + usb key and holding down the C key. Than, I can't see my HD in the installer nor in Gparted or other command-line tools... It seems that it's not a "macbook-only" problem, I found in the italian forum some other people that are unable to see their HD, even though they're PC users... Any idea???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhoe1024 View Post
    Hi everybody, I have the same problem, too. I succeded to boot live cd only using cd + usb key and holding down the C key. Than, I can't see my HD in the installer nor in Gparted or other command-line tools... It seems that it's not a "macbook-only" problem, I found in the italian forum some other people that are unable to see their HD, even though they're PC users... Any idea???
    PS. in the italian forum they succeded to install ubuntu 10.04 on those computers I mentioned above. They used ubuntu 10.04 64 bit alternate cd, and answered "no" when the installer asked them if they'd like to use raid tecnology. I haven't tried this yet, if anyone of you'll do it, please let us know!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by ivanhoe1024 View Post
    PS. in the italian forum they succeded to install ubuntu 10.04 on those computers I mentioned above. They used ubuntu 10.04 64 bit alternate cd, and answered "no" when the installer asked them if they'd like to use raid tecnology. I haven't tried this yet, if anyone of you'll do it, please let us know!
    Is the macbook not a 32 bit processor?

I have ran through the 32 bit alternate and desktop install dvds but it still wont pick up the HDD ( i didnt see any mention of RAID tho) were the using a standard build or a nightly? Downloading the 64 bit alt image now, blank CD in the drive ready to go

Cheers
    Last edited by ninocass; May 1st, 2010 at 11:13 PM.

Beans

Is this a problem strictly with Lucid, or no version of Ubuntu can be installed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by abel_bcn View Post
    Is this a problem strictly with Lucid, or no version of Ubuntu can be installed?
    Tried 9.10 and and 7.10 and no HDD drive detected. Alsi tried the alt amd64 of 10.04 and still no drives, it didnt give me the option of selecting raid or not so not sure what version the italian guys are using

Beans

Tried 9.10 and and 7.10 and no HDD drive detected. Alsi tried the alt amd64 of 10.04 and still no drives, it didnt give me the option of selecting raid or not so not sure what version the italian guys are using
    Ok, I tried myself the alternate 64 bit, and it can't find /dev/cdrom, nor a module to use. I tried also the live installer after installing applesmc downloaded from this thread, and nothing... I really don't know what to try now...

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast