Thread: Compiz Widget Layer - Windows Move

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Compiz Widget Layer - Windows Move

I have two computers running Ubuntu 9.10, one 64-bit and one 32-bit.

I'm using the Compiz widget layer on both. Whenever I open the widget layer, whatever windows that I've "pinned" to the widget layer have mysteriously migrated upward ~100 pixels from their previous location. As a result, I have to keep manually moving them downward.

I've been searching around and I can't find anyone else with this problem. Do you know how I can go about diagnosing this?

This happens with any class of window I pin to the widget layer (i.e., it's not just one program's windows that exhibit this behavior.)

Thanks in advance!

Beans
    Distro

Re: Compiz Widget Layer - Windows Move

bump?

Beans

I also ran into this problem - it turned out that I had selected an animation from the Animations Add-On plugin, but then disabled it. This caused the animation to be listed as N/A, which caused the migratory behavior.

You can actually reproduce if you just set the animation to N/A, independent of any plugins.

Beans
    Distro

My Animations Add-On plugin is enabled :\

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

On my freshly upgraded Ubuntu 10.10, I had only the "Animations" plugin enabled, and there was indeed the "Focus Animation" set to Focus Effect=N/A.
    But even after setting it to a real effect (Fade), I still get this annoying behavior : the window is fleeing 100 pixels to the sky and beyond each time I activate the Compiz widget layer !

This was found on LaunchPad : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/574585 but nobody seems to care about it.

Any news or idea is welcome!

Beans

It seems that my old N/A trick no longer works, I am also experiencing the window fleeing problem with 10.10. A temporary workaround I've found is to disable window decoration on widget layer windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Does disabling 'Snapping Windows' fix the problem?
    - Justin Reno
    Need an easy way to store files publicly or even privately without hassle over the internet to be accessed anywhere? Try Dropbox. Use this link to get an extra 250MB of storage!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Disabling 'Snapping Windows' does not help.
    As I tried to re-enable it, CCSM told me that it conflicts with 'Wobbly Windows' so I disabled this plugin too, but to no avail.

Disabling window decoration does work indeed but I only hope it will help developers find a solution, as I want to be able to move my window !

Thanks for your suggestions anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If disabling window decorations solves your problem, perhaps you could try excluding everything you use with Widget Layer in the Window Decoration-plugin.

That way you'd still have decorations for everything else.

Also, you don't need the decorations to move windows. Hold down the Alt key and you can move a window from any point, not just the titlebar. (Alt+left button moves, Alt+middle button resizes). This should allow you to move your widgets even if you disable their decorations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, excluding only the windows I put in Widget Layer is what I already did : I replaced 'any' with '!(class=Terminator)' in the 'Window Decoration' plugin.

What I did not know is that decoration is not needed to move windows. Thanks for the shortcuts, all this is now usable enough for my liking!