Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: I was right. Oracle is really on drugs.

Beans

Re: I was right. Oracle is really on drugs.

Get the ODF plugin for free (while it lasts):
    http://download.cnet.com/StarOffice-...html?tag=mncol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just wish OOo would get better compatibility with MSOffice. Importing a .doc file from one application to another does not work flawlessly. Quite often, formatting is lost, and embedded images are a disaster alltogether.

I'm not very confident StarOffice does any better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_S View Post
    I just wish OOo would get better compatibility with MSOffice. Importing a .doc file from one application to another does not work flawlessly. Quite often, formatting is lost, and embedded images are a disaster alltogether.

I'm not very confident StarOffice does any better.
    Not only that, just like MS Office to get the latest features you have to upgrade. With OpenOffice we're spoiled with getting the enhancements and improvements and not having to pay for an "upgrade".
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hum, I guess it is a good idea with having a Client/Server setup for Paid Oracle OpenOffice. Surly the only way to get anyone to pay for Open Office is to give away a full featured Open Office for home and school use. Businesses will by whatever their employees need.

However, a better to just develop Linux application servers. This is the way things will be in the end anyway. So, in the end the Client/Server OOo would end up having a target of Med to small business, and they would probably just use desktop OpenOffice.

But again, I could not be less qualified to be developing strategic business plans These are just my thoughts at 3:52am.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789