Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I was right. Oracle is really on drugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I was right. Oracle is really on drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronon View Post
    I see. As markbuntu suggests, those criticisms seem aimed at OASIS ODF 1.0, 1.1. It appears as if ODF 1.2 will address most of those criticisms.
    Well the spec isn't out yet. I would say that absolves Microsoft of any wrong doings. And even if MS did play dirty with the ODF implementation at least it means the spec will be fixed sooner.
    WARNING: "sudo rm -rf /" = BAD Read this for more information.
    Q6600-Abit IP35-2 GB RAM-250GTS 1GB

*Docky FTW!*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

The famous circus king P.T. Barnum put it best," there's a sucker born every minute". I guess Oracle has the same opinion.
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans

Bold , but risky action of oracle ... maybe too soon...ODF isn't yet common enough .... my 2 cents...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'd say about 99% of people using MS Office don't give a rat's butt about odf or even know what it is. Do they really think people are going to pay $90 for that?

We'll just keep using Office's defaults like everyone else in the world.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by newbie2 View Post
    Bold , but risky action of oracle ... maybe too soon...ODF isn't yet common enough .... my 2 cents...
    I think Oracle needs to hit it ASAP because this seems more focused to the pre-2007 Office users and they aren't really selling non-2007 Office suites at any rate (compared to 2007).

If this is something that is deemed required by the government then now is also the time to strike, before companies who have to provide for it start placing in their budget the moola to upgrade to 2007.

Of course the alternative that is unspoken, but is a way out is to install the full, free OpenOffice.org.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

* buys oracle stock *
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I don't get it.

Governments move to .odf because it sounds good, is (was) usable in a mixed environment, avoids lock-in and avoids that the software and hardware infrastructure everywhere, in any office, needs to keep a same minimum pace. Throw on that the annoyance of not being able to open MS2007 documents with earlier versions, and you get the idea.

Now, something that just works gets turned into something that needs to be paid for.

All of a sudden, .odf seems highly impractical, doesn't it? Maybe better still all to use the old .doc, since everyone can deal with that, right? We'll all agree to publish things in .odf (conversion is easy), and we're done.

How is that going to help .odf or Oracle?

Also keep in mind that we are talking about office documents. Being able to read the electronic format letters sent within a company or administration is in many cases not mission critical. And where it is (where there is an electronic document management system, for example), different standards are chosen if interoperability is an issue.

In other words, I honestly don't get it. Where is the business? Where is the PR interest? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm sorry, I costs nothing to get MS Office formats on the free OpenOffice, even although MS formats are proprietary yet you have to pay $90 (around £60) to get an open format on MS software. That said, given how Novell advertises MS/Linux inter-operability I can very much see them releasing an open source plugin for MS Office.

It just goes to prove that the Oracle buyout of Sun maybe wasn't for the better. Solaris now being offered as a 30 day trial before you have to pay, OpenSolaris teetering between life and death and now this. What's next? I'd rather not think about that...

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_S View Post
    I don't get it.

Governments move to .odf because it sounds good, is (was) usable in a mixed environment, avoids lock-in and avoids that the software and hardware infrastructure everywhere, in any office, needs to keep a same minimum pace. Throw on that the annoyance of not being able to open MS2007 documents with earlier versions, and you get the idea.
    The free updates to the old versions of Office include a plugin to be able to work with the new Office 2007 formats. The new OpenOffice.org can work with the new Office 2007 formats. So everyone can work with docx for free no matter if they're using any version of MS Office or OpenOffice.org.

I have the ability to save documents as odt's in Office 2007. I haven't used that format once, and I probably never will. I can't see this being a big moneymaker for Oracle. It looks like they're on the road to trashing everything they bought from Sun.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by beetleman64 View Post
    I'm sorry, I costs nothing to get MS Office formats on the free OpenOffice, even although MS formats are proprietary yet you have to pay $90 (around £60) to get an open format on MS software. That said, given how Novell advertises MS/Linux inter-operability I can very much see them releasing an open source plugin for MS Office.
    Doubt it. Novell seems to want to make Linux play nice with Windows, not the other way around.

For example, even the Mono Tools that allow Visual Studio to be used to make Mono applications easier, is paid-for. I asked and they didn't say they charge it because they are covering any licensing with Microsoft for Visual Studio either.. their response wasn't really any answer to "why"
    Thanks for your interest and support of Mono. There are several motivations
    for keeping Mono Tools for Visual Studio as a commercial application. Here
    are a few:

1) MonoDevelop is our preferred IDE. It is open source, freely available, and
    we are still investing heavily in improving it.
    2) Visual Studio is a commercial IDE. Third party Visual Studio extensions,
    including Mono Tools, may only be installed in the non-Express versions
    (i.e., the non-free versions).
    3) Commercialization of Mono Tools provides us the means and mechanism
    to market Mono within the Visual Studio ecosystem.
    Only #3 has anything to do with the "why", the rest is just a rehash of what things are.

Quote Originally Posted by beetleman64 View Post
    It just goes to prove that the Oracle buyout of Sun maybe wasn't for the better. Solaris now being offered as a 30 day trial before you have to pay, OpenSolaris teetering between life and death and now this. What's next? I'd rather not think about that...
    What's next? MySQL, Java, OpenOffice, Glassfish, NetBeans, ZFS, ... it's starting to look really scary.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast