Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy macs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why do people buy macs?

Quote Originally Posted by vnc View Post
    May have already been pointed out but for me it's that:

I don't want to have to worry about my sound card not working, and I want a unix backend.
    My sound card works, whatchu talkin' bout

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

My sound card works, whatchu talkin' bout
    +1 All my hardware is working just fine.

I love the huge trackpad and duel booting doesn't void my apple care

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

try the thinkpad trackpoint ... it is outstanding - until your resolution gets too high, then you want a physical mouse again - or at least I do
    the other great thing about thinkpads is you can drop them ... not that you do it on purpose, but every one I've ever had I've dropped at least twice, usually on tile flooring, once on concrete, and they just keep working
    play with the penguin

Beans

They definitely don't live up to the hype for me. However, they definitely have a reputation for being superior hardware among the non-technical population, justified or not.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The subliminal messages tell me that I need to be assimilated.
    I will buy a mac, ipod, ipad and if I can't afford it, I will turn my linux into a mac osx clone to feel good with myself.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

its the best OS when dealing with media. Most music studios use macs
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
    its the best OS when dealing with media. Most music studios use macs
    I don't understand why that is. Most music software (except Logic, I think) work on both Windows and Mac. And to get a truly professional sound, you need external hardware, most of which also work on both Windows and Mac.
    Mac basically is just the "industry standard" now. I'm sure most professionals don't really know why they use Mac (other than what the commercials told them), they just use it because everyone else does.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    They definitely don't live up to the hype for me. However, they definitely have a reputation for being superior hardware among the non-technical population, justified or not.
    Not just "non-technical population" and it is justified to a degree
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by mcduck View Post
    Personally, I have a mac because I still need some professional programs that aren't available for Linux, and running them on a Mac allows me to use a comfortable Unix environment with plenty of command-line power. I have never enjoyed using Windows, even though I've used every version starting from Win3.1, so I'm just happy to pay a bit more to get a nice, well-built and compact that runs a decent operating system instead of having to suffer with an OS I hate to use.

Not to mention that when you look at the professional hardware, macs really aren't any more expensive than any other ready-built machines. It's just the low-end consumer stuff where the price is higher. When it comes to something like the Mac Pros you'd have a really hard time building a similar setup with any less price.

From the points Brent0 made I'd say I can easily rule out 1,2,3,6 and half of the 5, leaving just a good OS and being fed up with Windows )
    Good god, my thoughts exactly!!!! I used Windows 3.1 on an uncle's computer and thank god I got a taste of all that ******** everyone seems to like. I want a computer that I can actually use and not have to tinker with it.

Another reason why I hate Windows is that damn serial number scheme. I have legitimate DVDs of Windows software that I can't use anymore because I'd reinstalled them too many times. Three strikes you're out, unless you want to make a long distance call to India to have them give you a brand new one. NO THANK YOU!!

I'm giving Ubuntu a shot because I'm wanting to get into photography full time and can't see paying $1000s for Photoshop. Seeing how there is a derivative of Ubuntu that includes Studio tools, I'm certainly going to take a serious look at it. I may even research how to set up my own PC to run it.

Beans

I dunno: because the're DUM! that's why....

All that grease, chemicals in the "special sauce"... really bad for arteries.

And the icon, Ronald McDonald has got to be one of the tackiest ever concieved, more so because he is the spitting image of a former governor of California.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast