Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy macs?

Beans

Re: Why do people buy macs?

Quote Originally Posted by Calmor View Post
    Not defending MS by any stretch of the imagination, but wasn't Windows 7 out before KDE 4.4?

In any event, I actually find the function more useful than I thought it would be, especially on a laptop with a screen resolution lower than I'd like it to be. Throwing a window on the left and the other on the right is a quick way to cross-reference two documents, two folder windows, etc.
    What makes this feature better in kde though is that in kde you can turn off window decorations. I use this feature when I put two documents side by side and then turn their decos off, this way they're better intergrated together as though they were one program running. Can't never do that with win7. But yes you're right, it was first done with win7.

Anyway there are programs that can mimic this on xp, as well as win7's taskbar looks and functionality.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by m4nm4n View Post
    Mac owners are all about image. As long as someone "cool" has one, they feel they need one to up their "cool" level too. It's what GPUs are for PC gamers and command-line prowess is for us *Nixers.
    Wow, you're totally right. The stiff unibody construction, large trackpad with inertial scrolling, and 10-hour battery are all for image.

I bought a Mac mainly for OS X. I'm not a gamer nor a spec chaser so I'm quite happy with my low-end machine. It really depends on what you need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by LMP900 View Post
    Wow, you're totally right. The stiff unibody construction, large trackpad with inertial scrolling, and 10-hour battery are all for image.

I bought a Mac mainly for OS X. I'm not a gamer nor a spec chaser so I'm quite happy with my low-end machine. It really depends on what you need.
    I have to say I had an opportunity to use a Macbook recently for a few weeks. After getting used to OS X and the lack of a right mouse button on that particular machine (I know some Mac mice have one, including the amazing Bluetooth touch one), it was a pretty solid unit and the battery life was quite amazing. The system and apps were all fairly cohesive and things did "just work" for the most part.

I still think that Apple tends to value form over function or the ability to control your own system, though. Chapter 1 in the iPhone dev documents is about making things look pretty. The Macbook hinge bit my finger a couple times (never had that happen on any other laptop that I can remember). The iTunes method of managing music (just dump the stuff in and let it handle it) goes against my own hierarchical organization of file structures - easy if you don't want to deal with it yourself, but not easily modifiable.

They do definitely have their upsides, but their downsides too. I tend to use what fits better for the task at hand, which is why I still dual-boot and run VirtualBox.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OS X is a modern, functional Unix, without the fuss. I get all the geekiness I need from the terminal, have access to a multitude of ported linux and BSD apps (through macports), and things actually work the way they should. I still keep linux mint around, but I don't use it except when I have to for CS homework.

Sent from my shiny new MacBook Pro.
    Posting code? Use the [code] or [php] tags.
    I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I can tell you that the majority of people buy macs because they look cool and they don't have virus problems.

I friend of mine have a laptop just 2 years old and was thinking about buying a mac. When I ask him why, he said, "you know, there are no virus in macs and I don't want the risk of losing info because of that" lol
    .Pride is Forever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dragos240 View Post
    It's shiny.
    It's silver
    The mac adverts
    Don't forget that the design is just sexy.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I don't think this question makes sense, because people buy Macs for different reasons, just as people use Linux or Windows for different reasons.

To give a few examples:
    • My wife initially bought a Mac because she was required to do so for her graphic design program. She ended up loving it and has stuck with Macs since. She uses Macs at work and Macs at home with Adobe CS3. She has an iPhone 3G, and she uses Netflix streaming, Safari, Mail, iPhoto, and iCal. I don't think I could make a strong case for her using Windows or Linux.
    • My dad was given $6000 by his workplace to buy a computer (his employer is pretty well off). He is a Windows person through and through. But $6000 is a lot of money for a computer, so he ended up buying a Mac. I think he installed Windows on it, though!
    • I have various friends who have had endless virus problems and other problems on Windows. They aren't very tech-savvy, but they do have iPhones and buy music through iTunes, and so Macs tend to work well for them. Even the new library for iPhones and iPod Touches in Lucid doesn't work perfectly. And iTunes through Wine has always been garbage.
    • Geez... some people actually prefer Macs. It is a different way of doing things. It may not be the way you personally prefer, but that's why you don't use a Mac. Others do prefer it that way, and they're allowed to.
    I wrote up An unbiased view on Macs last year. You may want to have a look.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I don't think this question makes sense, because people buy Macs for different reasons, just as people use Linux or Windows for different reasons.

To give a few examples:
    • My wife initially bought a Mac because she was required to do so for her graphic design program. She ended up loving it and has stuck with Macs since. She uses Macs at work and Macs at home with Adobe CS3. She has an iPhone 3G, and she uses Netflix streaming, Safari, Mail, iPhoto, and iCal. I don't think I could make a strong case for her using Windows or Linux.
    • My dad was given $6000 by his workplace to buy a computer (his employer is pretty well off). He is a Windows person through and through. But $6000 is a lot of money for a computer, so he ended up buying a Mac. I think he installed Windows on it, though!
    • I have various friends who have had endless virus problems and other problems on Windows. They aren't very tech-savvy, but they do have iPhones and buy music through iTunes, and so Macs tend to work well for them. Even the new library for iPhones and iPod Touches in Lucid doesn't work perfectly. And iTunes through Wine has always been garbage.
    • Geez... some people actually prefer Macs. It is a different way of doing things. It may not be the way you personally prefer, but that's why you don't use a Mac. Others do prefer it that way, and they're allowed to.
    I wrote up An unbiased view on Macs last year. You may want to have a look.
    Fair points. Unfortunately, I just can't afford myself an unbiased view on macs because the situational circumstances on why a person would be required to use one are so very, very remote by comparison, and I just don't like the ethics of Apple.. That, and I still firmly believe that Mac sold the true value of their platform out: The PPC platform. they're pushing glorified intel boxes at the same price point of their PPC, which is where the real uniqueness and power of a MAC was allowed to shine to the competition. Now, I personally feel anyone who buys a Mac computer is seriously getting ripped off, because at least in my personal opinion, the value OSX provides to my other choices doesn't offset the cost of their computer versus a Dell, HP, Asus, or building it myself / having one custom built.

I'll never argue with regard to what end someone was compelled to buy a MAC until they begin to try to convince people of the technical merits of their decision over their other options. Most of the time, its a matter of misinformation. If they "just like macs", well more power to them! You should always strive to invest in something you like.
    Last edited by toupeiro; April 19th, 2010 at 06:41 PM.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans

I don't buy Macs because I'm poor. I think it would be nice to have one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

Beans
    Distro

Why for heaven's sake is this not in recurring already?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast