Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy macs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Why do people buy macs?

When you add up the price of a Windows license plus a new PC, isn't it going to cost roughly the same as a Mac?

I know a lot of people who have Macs, and it certainly isn't about the image.

Beans

Never saw a mac first-hand. No one uses them where I live.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    i just find that the new taskbar is very useful for staying organized. i love the feature that lets you drag windows to the very right of screen and very left and each window will take up half the screen. this makes dragging and dropping to mp3 player much easier. overall it really doesn't do anything you couldn't in windows xp but i find it easier to navigate and more fun in general to use.
    draging to edges to maximize half a screen or to the top to maximize completely exists in KDE 4.4 as well. It's cute, nothing more.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by ratcheer View Post
    Studies have shown that a Mac is not really that much more expensive than Windows, because it comes with most of the software needed to do everything. Macs are bought by people who don't like futzing around with their system all the time, they just want to use it to get things done. Basically, the Mac is a computing appliance - you buy it, you turn it on, and you use it.

I do not have a Mac but my college freshman son does. He loves it. But, he knows next to nothing about computers and he doesn't seem to care. The Mac is just right for him.

Tim
    Studies had to be done to come to this conclusion? Seems like a lot more work than I would have spent on it.

I think it's just for the whole, "It just works" mentality. People pay more for something that works. Not everyone likes Windows, and not everyone wants to go through setting up linux (or knows how easy it is). And maybe some people are missing specific functions, or programs. I would have to say, I love mac's for video editing. iMovie and iDvd both make it super simple. Though I don't own a mac.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    i just find that the new taskbar is very useful for staying organized. i love the feature that lets you drag windows to the very right of screen and very left and each window will take up half the screen. this makes dragging and dropping to mp3 player much easier. overall it really doesn't do anything you couldn't in windows xp but i find it easier to navigate and more fun in general to use.
    So from 2001 when XP was released to 2010, Windows basically is exactly the same, with a new task bar?

So if someone with XP paid for Vista, then Windows 7, they paid quiet a lot of money, for a new task bar that could of been programed as an XP add on?

Way to go Microsoft!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Peer pressure and good marketing. Those apple guys sure know how to sell an average product. Apparently, the first thing Jobs did after returning to apple is replace half of the marketing department.
    Microsoft's crimes - Ubuntu CE - Windows 7 sins

Quote Originally Posted by BlackOtaku View Post
    No no, I won't indulge your superiority complex... But if you'd like to tell me something you're passionate about, I'd love the chance to belittle it.

Beans

The reason Apple does well is simple, it's the only alternative to Windows that most people even know about.

So they try Apple and it doesn't crash non stop, like Windows, so they think it's amazing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asddf View Post
    So from 2001 when XP was released to 2010, Windows basically is exactly the same, with a new task bar?

So if someone with XP paid for Vista, then Windows 7, they paid quiet a lot of money, for a new task bar that could of been programed as an XP add on?

Way to go Microsoft!
    what more do you need? i hated the way the previous versions of windows where setup and thought the old task bar sucked.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by asddf View Post
    What exactly does windows 7 do, that Windows XP couldn't?

What features and things can it actually do that XP can't?

I've looked at this before and there doesn't actually seem to be anything..
    There are a few helpful things such as the concept of libraries (roughly, allowing multiple folders to be shows as one - good for those of us who still like to manage their own document structure). Security is inherently better with UAC (which has been adjusted to act similar to Ubuntu's user controls, only with a "confirmation" instead of a password entry) and the lockdown of the System and Program Files folders (need admin rights to modify). Some nicer UI functions in Aero such as the drag to top/side window sizing, which believe it or not helps more than I thought it would.

All in all, while it does break compatibility with some older things, and 64-bit support is still sketchy for some items, I still find Windows 7 to be better to use than XP. You can do roughly all the same things (some newer stuff may not be backwards compatible, some older stuff may not work on 7, etc), but the experience is a bit better.

All told I still prefer Ubuntu for most things, though there are some (Quicken, Visual Studio for Windows projects) that I need to use Windows for, and I prefer 7 over XP where possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by TheNessus View Post
    draging to edges to maximize half a screen or to the top to maximize completely exists in KDE 4.4 as well. It's cute, nothing more.
    Not defending MS by any stretch of the imagination, but wasn't Windows 7 out before KDE 4.4?

In any event, I actually find the function more useful than I thought it would be, especially on a laptop with a screen resolution lower than I'd like it to be. Throwing a window on the left and the other on the right is a quick way to cross-reference two documents, two folder windows, etc.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast