Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do people buy macs?

Beans

Why do people buy macs?

I've been using ubuntu for over 2 years now and windows 7 since pretty much it came out and i have come to the conclusion that both are both kick *** operating systems. so what compells people to spend so much on macs when they could get a pc to do all they need for cheaper?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why do people buy macs?

It's shiny.
    It's silver
    The mac adverts
    .i coi rodo

Beans

i mean back in the day where win 98 through vista where pretty ugly and boring operating systems but now that windows 7 is out and does pretty much everything you need and has some very good features that help productivity, i don't understand the need for a mac. and if you don't need anything that windows provides, ubuntu with compiz is better than osx imo because it is so tweakable.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

In my opinion,
    1.) Advertising. They portray Mac as the "Cool" alternative to Windows.
    2.) Looks. People will spend hundreds of dollars for a nice theme and a shiny case.
    3.) Brand recognition. The same reason why the iPad is doing so well and why people have so much faith in Google for Chrome OS.
    4.) OSX is a good operating system.
    5.) People are fed up with Windows and think Apple is the only alternative.
    6.) They have extra money to burn.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Why did you spend so much on Windows?

Different people use their computers in different ways, and for different tasks, and therefore might like different operating systems.

Personally, I have a mac because I still need some professional programs that aren't available for Linux, and running them on a Mac allows me to use a comfortable Unix environment with plenty of command-line power. I have never enjoyed using Windows, even though I've used every version starting from Win3.1, so I'm just happy to pay a bit more to get a nice, well-built and compact that runs a decent operating system instead of having to suffer with an OS I hate to use.

Not to mention that when you look at the professional hardware, macs really aren't any more expensive than any other ready-built machines. It's just the low-end consumer stuff where the price is higher. When it comes to something like the Mac Pros you'd have a really hard time building a similar setup with any less price.

(note that I still run Linux as my main operating system, as I have been for years before I bought myself a mac. From the points Brent0 made I'd say I can easily rule out 1,2,3,6 and half of the 5, leaving just a good OS and being fed up with Windows )
    Last edited by mcduck; April 19th, 2010 at 02:37 PM.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Why do people buy macs?

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    I've been using ubuntu for over 2 years now and windows 7 since pretty much it came out and i have come to the conclusion that both are both kick *** operating systems. so what compells people to spend so much on macs when they could get a pc to do all they need for cheaper?
    Studies have shown that a Mac is not really that much more expensive than Windows, because it comes with most of the software needed to do everything. Macs are bought by people who don't like futzing around with their system all the time, they just want to use it to get things done. Basically, the Mac is a computing appliance - you buy it, you turn it on, and you use it.

I do not have a Mac but my college freshman son does. He loves it. But, he knows next to nothing about computers and he doesn't seem to care. The Mac is just right for him.

Tim
    Cyberpower PC, Core i5 2500 3.3 gHz, 8GB DDR3, ATI 6770 1GB, Samsung BX 2440 LED 1080p, 1 TB SATA III, 2 TB SATA III, Siduction Linux 64-bit

Beans

Mac owners are all about image. As long as someone "cool" has one, they feel they need one to up their "cool" level too. It's what GPUs are for PC gamers and command-line prowess is for us *Nixers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

To run Ubuntu on it...

Beans

What exactly does windows 7 do, that Windows XP couldn't?

What features and things can it actually do that XP can't?

I've looked at this before and there doesn't actually seem to be anything..

Beans

i just find that the new taskbar is very useful for staying organized. i love the feature that lets you drag windows to the very right of screen and very left and each window will take up half the screen. this makes dragging and dropping to mp3 player much easier. overall it really doesn't do anything you couldn't in windows xp but i find it easier to navigate and more fun in general to use.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast