Thread: Botting problems

Beans

Botting problems

I am an Ubuntu beginner. I am having a problem booting Ubuntu. I installed a webcam yesterday and it worked great, but when I restart Ubuntu it stays/freezes in the log in screen. However when I unplug the webcam from the usb port and turn the computer back on the Ubuntu will boot as usual. How can I fix this problem? Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Botting problems

Does everything work if you plug the webcam in and use it after you boot?

Thanks.

Beans

Yes everything works fine after I plug the camera back in. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Check the boot order in your BIOS, make sure USB either isn't in the list, or has a lower priority than your hard drive. Having USB devices plugged in can confuse some motherboards if they're set to boot from USB.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Check the boot order in your BIOS, make sure USB either isn't in the list, or has a lower priority than your hard drive. Having USB devices plugged in can confuse some motherboards if they're set to boot from USB.
    I would disable it entire if the option is given (after all, he is getting to the login screen before it freezes so it is booting from the HDD).

Beans

I disabled the USB booting option in the BIOS and still does the same thing. As soon as the Ubuntu log in starts, the webcam turns on and then it freezes the the system. It does not go beyond this point. Then I turned the computer off and unplug the usb cable for the camera and started normally.

Beans

Is there any way to disable the webcam, so is not set up as an start up application. I think that the problem is there, because once the ubuntu log in comes up, the camera turns on and the booting process freezes up and if I unplug the camera it will continue to boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

If you go into system preferences there is a tab start up applications have a look in there for camara then untick it see if that works
    DUAL BOOT XP & Natty, Trying LFS

Beans

Thanks for your help. I found one that was referring to the camera. I unchecked it and it worked!