Thread: Which version to install on my old Sony Vaio?

Beans

Which version to install on my old Sony Vaio?

I'm about to install linux on my old sony vaio and have been recommended Ubuntu.

Before I do though I'd like to know which version to go about installing?
    My Vaio is very old (10 years! It's a SR7 model, p3 600mhz, 256mb ram) and I'm expecting an interesting experience getting the os up and running on it so I'd like to know the correct one first.

There appears to be a netbook version of Ubuntu available and a desktop version. My laptop is old but I'm not sure the netbook version is the one to go with. Being that netbooks are much nwer. Could someone tell me which version they think I should be using?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Which version to install on my old Sony Vaio?

Ubuntu: Heavy but do-able
    Netbook remix: Heavier, only used for its screen compactness
    Kubuntu: Don't even bother
    Xubuntu: Getting slimmer but it was never meant to be a "Slim ubuntu"
    Lubuntu: Rough around the edges, but very fast

I would suggest going ubuntu + openbox, or lubuntu. Either way you will need to tweak it for efficiency...
    Comitas. Brevitas. Nulla ambitio.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would give Mepis Antix a shot. It is based on Debian like ubuntu, but is made for old computers with little memory. Plus, it has all codecs and flash preinstalled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

I have recently installed Lubuntu 10.04 Beta 2 on a similar Vaio PCG F707 600 MHz PIII, 256 Mb RAM (maxxed out) 9Gb HDD. It runs quite nicely, and it works with the cheap PCMCIA WiFi card I put in it (Atheros 5k chip set). I have also run Puppy Linux 4.3.1 on it sucessfully. Mepis Antix 8.5 runs OK from a live CD, but I can't persuade the WiFi card to work (I haven't spent long struggling). Lubuntu "just worked", I have installed Open Office, it takes a while to load, but it runs OK.

I did try Xubuntu 8.10 on it last year. I could run it and install it, but I couldn't get the WiFi to work, and it got indigestion and crashed when I tried to update the system. Lubuntu also seems much faster.