Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you store your DVD's

Beans

How do you store your DVD's

Hi,
    i read that you save your dvd's by storing them in sleeves rather than cases, like they come when you buy them.
    Did anyone store their dvd's like this or do you just store them in the case?
    Because i am thinking to store them in sleeves. Its also a spacesaver.
    But whats your opinion on this?
    OpenSuse 11.3(64bit)+KDE 4.4.4+E8500+4GB+900GB HD+NVidia GT880 1GB
    -=2600=-
    My Testimonial

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do you store your DVD's

However you want.
    Last edited by Penguin Guy; April 18th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yester64 View Post
    Hi,
    i read that you save your dvd's by storing them in sleeves rather than cases, like they come when you buy them.
    Did anyone store their dvd's like this or do you just store them in the case?
    Because i am thinking to store them in sleeves. Its also a spacesaver.
    But whats your opinion on this?
    I store all my DVDs/CDs in books I have like 5 100 DVD Books filled up. It would be way to hard and unorganized to store them in there cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer J. Simpson
    "Dinner is the perfect break between work, and drunk."

scouser73 is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Wink Re: How do you store your DVD's

I don't have any DVD's, except blank ones.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I store them in proper cases.

When properly inserted in the case, absolutely nothing is in contact with the data area of the disk.

If you use a sleeve, the disk is sliding in and out of a sleeve, with lots of contact to the data area.

It doesn't take special degrees to figure out which one is safer. One little piece of grit makes it's way into a sleeve, and the disc is ruined.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who says it's safer to store DVD's in sleeves than in proper cases had to have gotten the idea, directly or indirectly, from somebody selling sleeves.

Now, IMO, the very best way to store your DVDs is to rip them, store the movies on your hard drive, and only pull the actual discs out of the case when you want to watch the bonus features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I store them in a box in the roof, so that wee people don't trash them. They've all been ripped onto my network.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb View Post
    I store them in proper cases.

When properly inserted in the case, absolutely nothing is in contact with the data area of the disk.

If you use a sleeve, the disk is sliding in and out of a sleeve, with lots of contact to the data area.

It doesn't take special degrees to figure out which one is safer. One little piece of grit makes it's way into a sleeve, and the disc is ruined.

As far as I'm concerned, anybody who says it's safer to store DVD's in sleeves than in proper cases had to have gotten the idea, directly or indirectly, from somebody selling sleeves.

Now, IMO, the very best way to store your DVDs is to rip them, store the movies on your hard drive, and only pull the actual discs out of the case when you want to watch the bonus features.
    Actually that is what i am doing. All my dvd are also on the harddrive and i watch them via xbox.
    But storage is also a concern for me. Thats why sleeves sounds not to bad.
    -=2600=-
    My Testimonial

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by swoll1980 View Post
    I store all my DVDs/CDs in books I have like 5 100 DVD Books filled up. It would be way to hard and unorganized to store them in there cases.
    May i ask what you do with your old cases? Just curious.
    My plan was to put them in to a sleeve and put the cover in a storagefolder and essentialy toss away the original case.
    -=2600=-
    My Testimonial

Beans

Sleeves. About ten years ago I bought a bunch of boxes and sleeves from Univenture. They work great, take up little space and when I got burgled several years ago, the thieves overlooked them. But I imagine that eventually they will wind up in the basement next to the crate of LPs.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast