Thread: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 AMD Athlon™ Neo X2-some questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 AMD Athlon™ Neo X2-some questions

Hi,
    just thinking to replace my dell mini 10v with this lenovo:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/note...2lge+dual+core

Have some questions though, so if anyone has this amd cpu modell, would be nice to have some response here (i posted similar questions here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1412406&page=3, but, as i am planning to take specific model, maybe is better to open new thread):

1) Is it really (amd processor) capable to be used as main computer (+ external dvd drive)?
    2) Should i buy it if i intend to use ubuntu linux as main system?
    3) How high is fan/noise level? (i use dell mini10v-fanless, and macbook white - has no disturbing noise leve). Does ubuntu set cpu frequeency down in idle? (i read somewhere that is some option in win 7 turned off-so that cpu is always at 1500 MHz.
    4) and what is battery life with amd...

I would be gratefull if someone writes a little review here-i am interseted only in amd and linux on it....

Thanks
    Last edited by vickoxy; April 18th, 2010 at 04:48 PM.
    MacBook Pro7,1, Ubuntu 11.04 64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 13 AMD Athlon™ Neo X2-some questions

No one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

bump

Beans

I am eyeing this notebook as well. I've seen your thread on Lenovo's forum and I've seen other owners posts there. There seems to be an issue with the audio on 10.04.

You might want to share what kind of usage do you plan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, i saw somwehere that someone has fixed this audio issue. Not sure where, but-that was of no big concern to me as this fans/heating issue. I saw in one shop in austria edge 13 but couldn´t get impression how loud/silent it was (too much external noise).

Well, most of the time i am using computer for openoffice (writing) and web surfing. Second think where the performance is sometimes very important is reading pdf books. I have hunderds of old books scanned in pdf format, and only acroread can read them fast enough on my dell mini 10v...
    If it would be possible, i would also love sometimes to cut/edit family movies (standard def) - so that i don´t have to use my wifes MacBook anymore. I have external 18.5" Monitor and BT Keyboard combined with dell mini 10v, but as i saw thinkpad, it just crossed my mind that for this keyboard and even screen, i could just switch to 13" edge and replace external display and keyboard with it...

Thanks for reply

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vickoxy View Post
    Hi,
    just thinking to replace my dell mini 10v with this lenovo:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/note...2lge+dual+core

Have some questions though, so if anyone has this amd cpu modell, would be nice to have some response here (i posted similar questions here http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1412406&page=3, but, as i am planning to take specific model, maybe is better to open new thread):

1) Is it really (amd processor) capable to be used as main computer (+ external dvd drive)?
    Nothing wrong with that cpu. Certainly a lot faster than any atom you would usually find in such a small and cheap laptop.

Whether it can replace your desktop just depends what you expect from it. The cpu should perform roughly like an Athlon 5000+ or so, or a low end Core2Duo. Plenty fast for most things, but nothing like a highend desktop.

It has a rather decent onboard video, much faster than you'll find in most similar intel laptops, but again, no match for a desktop gaming card obviously.

2) Should i buy it if i intend to use ubuntu linux as main system?
    I have no idea

3) How high is fan/noise level? (i use dell mini10v-fanless, and macbook white - has no disturbing noise leve). Does ubuntu set cpu frequeency down in idle? (i read somewhere that is some option in win 7 turned off-so that cpu is always at 1500 MHz.
    Here is a review:
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-...k.27216.0.html

They seem pleased with the noise levels,and normally linux should have no problem scaling the cpu frequency (but then neither should windwos).

4) and what is battery life with amd...
    See link above. Not quite as good as some intel notebooks, but 4,5 hours of surfing sounds good to me. YMMV.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I saw that review and many others. But i also read on amazon and some other sites users opinions, and there are mixed reports regarding amd processor. That is why i am asking so many times this question. I am just very sensible to fan noise (had one year ago acer one and it was too much/too high frequency noise for so little computer). I am not expecting from thinkpad to be so quiet as dell mini 10v, but if it can be quiet as macbook-that would be nice. And just thinking-for 400 EUR it seems to be very good bargain...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Maybe i should open new thread, but i just saw ThinkPad SL510 and it seems to be good deal. ThinkPad is to me little bit ugly designed computer, but still has some touch-especially keyboards and build quality. Just read few reviews and they are saying that is very, very quiet.

Anyone can say if this would be good deal?

Beans
    Hidden!

Thinkpads rock. They are really well built.

They are pricey compared to acer or dell, and they do have a very distinct look (I actually started liking them) but they last a life time, unlike most Dells Ive used. I dont think you'll regret spending a bit more on them. At my company we ditched Dell and went back to lenovo because the old thinkpads easily outlasted the newer dells which kept having broken hinges and random mechanical and electrical failures issues.

I cant comment on ubuntu compatibility for that particular model, nor noise or anything really, but in general I give 2 thumbs up for thinkpads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for answer. Well, yes, i saw some 5-6 years old thinkpads-they are ugly as hell (i just like apple´s design)-but - as you mentioned it - they are just giving confidence because of their build quality, keyboard-and have certanly something that catches you...and just started to like them more and more...

But, this model SL510 costs 400-450 euros, and in this price area, they are some of the cheapest. I do not know if i could have with this thinkpad models that thinkpad quality.

But one thing i am sure-i want to have linux as primary system there...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast