Thread: Are there any good disk activity monitors?

Beans

Are there any good disk activity monitors?

I am looking for a disk activity monitor that can tell me how many bytes/sec (or MB/sec) each of the disks attached to my machine are transferring. Something like the network monitor where you can see your send/receive rates, but for disks. System monitor doesn't do it, and it doesn't look like Conky does it. Any other ideas?

I started looking for this because it seems like either Lucid is having some issues with multiple copies running simultaneously to and from the same disks, or I am having difficulty realizing just how much contention there really is. If I start a single copy operation transferring say 100GB of video files from my internal sata disk to a USB attached disk, the copy will run somewhere around 18MB/sec or a little more. If I start a second copy from the same internal disk to the same USB disk, the transfer rates start falling until they get down to around 6MB/sec combined. These numbers are from the "File Operations" dialog. The internal sata disk is formatted ext4, and the USB is ext3.

I get more throughput than that when using Filezilla to transfer files from my media server to this same computer over my 100Mb Ethernet. As a matter of fact, while the file copies are running I can start Filezilla and get about 7.5MB/sec downloading three simultaneous files to the sata drive. I expect the individual transfers to slow down, and maybe the overall throughput to reduce due to disk contention, but I didn't expect it would fall all the way down to 1/3 or 1/4 the rate of a single copy operation. So this is why I am looking for a good disk activity monitor. So I can see what is really happening.

Thanks,

xeddog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Are there any good disk activity monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by xeddog View Post
    I am looking for a disk activity monitor that can tell me how many bytes/sec (or MB/sec) each of the disks attached to my machine are transferring. Something like the network monitor where you can see your send/receive rates, but for disks. System monitor doesn't do it, and it doesn't look like Conky does it. Any other ideas?
    gkrellm
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Don't forget 'Conky'

Beans

Trying gkrellm. I don't see where Conky can do this.

Thanks,

xeddog

Beans

Trying gkrellm. I don't see where Conky can do this. It looks to me like Conky will tell you your disk utilization as a percentage of spade used, but not actual current transfer rates. Right??

Thanks,

xeddog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xeddog View Post
    Trying gkrellm. I don't see where Conky can do this. It looks to me like Conky will tell you your disk utilization as a percentage of spade used, but not actual current transfer rates. Right??

Thanks,

xeddog
    Hi, did you try the "diskio" variable.
    From doc : http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html
    Displays current disk IO. Device is optional, and takes the form of sda for /dev/sda. Individual partitions are allowed.
    There are also : diskio_read, diskio_write, diskiograph
    Don't know if they fit tour needs !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In the terminal type..
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install iotop
    and once it is installed type
    Code:
    iotop
    (iotop=input/output version of 'top') shows disc writes and the processes associated with them.