Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: my server was hacked!

Quote Originally Posted by iponeverything View Post
    Code:
    sudo lsof |grep LISTEN
    Can often tell you what is using what ports.

Code:
    sudo lsof |grep TCP
    sudo lsof |grep UDP
    can give you useful data as well..
    Try this one =)

Code:
    sudo lsof -i -n -P
    You may also enjoy :

Code:
    sudo netstat -ntulp
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Thank you Cariboo907 and uRock,(and everyone else) that's good advice that I shall follow. Now..off to download Karmic. I don't want to wait weeks for the cd, and I don't have a disc burner, haven't had one for two years! Can I just dld the code and install like that, (or I could see if a local store has a copy- that's where I got the Intrepid one).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You can boot (and install) Karmic off of usb.

It definitely sounds like the box is hosed and a reinstall is the only thing you can do to be sure that everything is clean.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

So just to be sure here (cause I'm not so good at this) I can download onto my external hard drive and then just click on the download and take it from there? I have all my files from 'Ubuntu' computer (the one that got hijacked- this one is the windows one) on my external hard drive and I don't want to lose them so I hope nothing happens to the external when I use it to install Ubuntu, but I don't think anything will. Where is the best place to download Karmic to install that way? Every thing I read tells me to burn the disc and boot from it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Erm, I should have been more clear. You can install Ubuntu off of a USB thumb drive. You can probably use unetbootin or something similar to put the iso on the thumb drive and make it bootable.

I think you can install it from a USB hard drive too, but I think it's a bit of a pain to do.

The way I do it now is that I use my multipass (USB stick made bootable with Grub4DOS)
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It sounds like you need to get your project up and running. Fiddling with alternate install methods will only bog you down. If you still have the disk from last time you installed, that should work just fine. Just make sure you install the latest updates right away. Your school's computer lab probably has a CD burner if you really want the latest stable release.

Barring that, the ways I know to install without a CD are.
    1. USB thumb drive
    not all computers can boot this way, especially older ones.
    Amount of time it would take Jive Turkey to set up 5-10 min with a working ubuntu desktop, 3 hours on a windows machine.
    2. Network boot
    AFAIK you need a tftp server working to get this done
    Amount of time it would take Jive Turkey to set up 3 days to 3 weeks, possibly never if I can't find good documentation.
    3. Some crazy disk writing-file-copying-wackiness probably involving dd and radical partitioning scheme.
    I attempted this once with another distro and never really got decent results. Would probably take me at least a week to figure it out, if ever unless I could find a really good howto.

Beans

unetbootin would be the easiest way to go.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

Thanks so much to all of you..now ur gonna kill me I got my hands on a Jaunty Jackelope disc and my disc player seems to work with it (didn't work with another disc I had, probably the disc was bad) so...now I'm wondering, do I have to uninstall the 'present Ubuntu that's in my computer (Intrepid Ibex, the server that was hijacked). Or do I just install over top of it...I'm reading the install manual that is on the install disc but I'm not sure. I gues when I'm ready I click on some file in the folder marked 'install'.

Beans

Ok, I backed up all my files on external drive, and I put my Jaunty Jackelope server installation disk in the cd drive, and I looked at all the folders it shows but I can't figure out which thing I click on to start the installation....and also I hope it overwrites the other installation...I took a screenshot if you want to see it.

Beans

The disk should boot into installation mode. When you get to the partitioner, select to format the partitions.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast