Thread: Can't create crontab

Beans

Can't create crontab

Hi guys,
    A couple days ago I noticed cron stopped working and now I can't create a new file using crontab -e. When I hit crontab -e I get the editor but after saving nothing comes up under crontab -l and the file is blank when I reopen it. I don't have a cron.allow or a cron.deny.

Rohan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't create crontab

Very odd!

Which of the choice of three options for editing the text did you choose? If nano, which is the preferred application, are you sure you used the Ctrl+X to exit and then chose y to save the file?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Very odd!

Which of the choice of three options for editing the text did you choose? If nano, which is the preferred application, are you sure you used the Ctrl+X to exit and then chose y to save the file?
    Ok... that is the strangest thing. I usually write out in nano first with "Ctrl-O" then exit with "Ctrl-X" it saves my crontab if I hit "Ctrl-X" then Y. Maybe Ctrl-O is writing to the wrong temp file.

I think it works now though. So thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

It does not matter whether you do things with nano as I did, or the way you did, both should end up with a crontab file just the same. It is no different to using gedit to write a file, closing gedit and getting the option to save the file, or saving the file and then closing it; both end in the same file being saved.

Whatever it was, I am glad you have it sorted now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

What happens if you run:

Code:
    crontab -l > file
    Edit the file, and the run:
    Code:
    crontab file
    I usually do this instead of crontab -e, so that I have a copy of my crontab somewhere, in case I need to copy any commands or whatever.
    My Website. Computing resources, photos, articles etc.