Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warning: Thunderbird won't launch

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Warning: Thunderbird won't launch

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubun...rd/+bug/563893

Being worked on now and the platform team is blocking the binaries on the mirror. Please subscribe to the bug for details.

Beans

Re: Warning: Thunderbird won't launch

Mine is working fine but I have never upgraded to the newest one. Glad I haven't now.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Bug report says it is fixed now.
    Of course mirrors might not be up to date though.

Beans

I just mailed ubuntu-devel-annouce. For the benefit of those who are not monitoring that list, here is what I wrote:

Hi,

Some people have experienced a problem with Thunderbird failing to start after upgrading to 3.0.4+nobinonly-0ubuntu2 (see [1]). An updated version which fixes this bug has been uploaded already and the affected binaries removed from the archive. If you have already updated to the affected version and you are experiencing this problem, then you will need to recover manually in order to use Thunderbird again.

The issue is that under certain conditions, the thunderbird wrapper script replaces your profile with a recursive symlink. If you are running the affected version and thunderbird no longer starts, please open a terminal and run "ls -ld ~/.*thunderbird*". If you see output similar to the following, then you are affected by this bug and will need to proceed with the instructions following.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 chr1s chr1s 24 2010-04-15 19:08 /home/chr1s/.mozilla-thunderbird -> /home/chr1s/.thunderbird
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 chr1s chr1s 24 2010-04-15 19:08 /home/chr1s/.thunderbird -> /home/chr1s/.thunderbird
    drwx------ 3 chr1s chr1s 4096 2010-04-15 19:08 /home/chr1s/.thunderbird.upstream

To recover from this, you need to:
    1) Delete the recursive symlink (~/.thunderbird) by running "rm ~/.thunderbird".
    ***Only do this if you see the output above, else you could be deleting your profile. If you are unsure, then rename the file instead***
    2) Move ~/.thunderbird.upstream to ~/.thunderbird by running "mv ~/.thunderbird.upstream ~/.thunderbird"

Once you have done this, you will be able to open Thunderbird again.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards
    Chris

[1] - https://launchpad.net/bugs/563893

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

My system is completely up to date (as of 1/2 hour ago) and I cannot open Thunderbird.

I will follow chrisccoulson's steps and get it fixed. Glad I seen this thread.

Thanks chrisccoulson!
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yeah those fixed it... for some reason it told me i cant rename thunderbird.upstream to thunderbird because it already existed when it really wasnt but oh well....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

thx it was easy to recover from update width this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Installed Thunderbird yesterday and had this problem. Ran Update Manager a few minutes ago. Thunderbird was one of the updates listed. I installed this update, but this did not fix the problem. So I uninstalled it, then reinstalled it using Ubuntu Software Manager.
    Still did not work, so I ran the commands recommended above. I now have a Thunderbird that is working great.

Thanks, Chris.

Beans
    Distro

All fixed and working great now! Thanks!
    Check Java Version | Install Java via WEB UPD8 PPA
    Creating a Custom Maintenance Free GRUB2 Screen Community Wiki
    Ubuntu 12.04 | 14.04 | 14.10 | Mint 13 | Mint 17 | Windows 7 | All 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

People still use Thunderbird???

I am way more productive using gmail with GTD (Getting thing done) combined with Firefox and a gmail ad-on, and push email on my phone.

Just wondering how opening another app (since 99.999% of people use a browser) is more productive then gmail and GTD and incorporated through firefox.

This is my setup and I haven't found one better. Maybe I am retarded or maybe I am ahead of my time. Or maybe some people are stuck in an old system. But apps for email are kind o old fashion don't you think!?!?!??!?

Sign-up to Dropbox using the following link and get 2.25GB of storage FREE!!!
    https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTM2NDgxOTc5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast