Thread: HOWTO: Disable or Enable Gnome Session Startup Applications from Command Line

Beans

Smile HOWTO: Disable or Enable Gnome Session Startup Applications from Command Line

HOWTO: Disable or Enable Gnome Session Startup Applications from Command Line

- As usual I am not responsible for you screwing up your install by using these instructions the wrong way! -

So I looked around, and just couldn't find out how to do this without using the GUI (Which by the way is SYSTEM->PREFERENCES->SESSIONS)

It looks like by default session startup options are located in the following directories:

/usr/share/gnome/autostart/
    /usr/share/autostart/
    /etc/xdg/autostart/
    and then every user can have their own autostart options located in
    ~/.config/autostart/
    (the above translates to: /home/<username>/.config/autostart/ )

So if you want to disable a startup option from command line you would just open a terminal window and remove or as I perfer - rename - the startup options corrisponding .desktop file. For example, to disable the check for new hardware on every login for every user - you could do this:

- Open a terminal window
    - do the following:

Code:
    sudo mv /etc/xdg/autostart/jockey-gtk.desktop /etc/xdg/autostart/jockey-gtk.orig
    This will rename the jockey-gtk.desktop file (which is the New Hardware Detection Application in Ubuntu) to jockey-gtk.orig - which will disable it from starting up for all users when they login. Which was something I needed to do on a current project.

Anyway - I looked around, and I found methods for disabling startup services using the "sysv-rc-conf" package, but it was much harder to find any information about how to disable Gnome Session Startup applications without using the GUI - which was not an option for me in this case.

Hope this helps others!

Enjoy!

Shane Menshik
    D2 GLOBAL INC
    http://www.d2global.com

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Disable or Enable Gnome Session Startup Applications from Command Line

I'm searching for a way to remove skype from my autostart, but I can't find it anywhere in those places.
    I added it via Startup Applications and removed it there, but it persistently autostarts everytime I login...is there anywhere else it could've hang?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: HOWTO: Disable or Enable Gnome Session Startup Applications from Command Line

I can't find the gui in lucid

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can create your own start-up app by navigating to ~/.config/autostart/ and adding a yourscript.desktop file within. In the file, modify this code for your script and place it there, making sure to name it with a .desktop.
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Type=Application
    Exec=/your/script/path
    Hidden=false
    NoDisplay=false
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    Name[en_US]=namethatwillshowinstartupapplications
    Name=./your/script/path
    Comment[en_US]=
    Comment=
    To remove, simply delete the .desktop file from that same folder. You can also shut it off by changing the X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled option to no.
    "Where is the heal-anything blood?"