Thread: Can't see iso image on dvd, don't want contents

Beans

Question Can't see iso image on dvd, don't want contents

Someone please enlighten me. I'm trying to run unetbootin to install 8.10 on a usb stick. When I run the app, and try to select the iso image, a file selection dialog opens and shows me only the contents of the iso, not the iso. I can't even tell what the name of the iso image is. I've had this problem before, but it wasn't critical so I went to work on somethign else. It's now time to figure this out because it's frustrating and confining.

Beans

Smile Re: Can't see iso image on dvd, don't want contents

Make sure that the "disk image" selection is selected and also make sure that the image type is ISO not IMG. Also, after you run Unetbootin, the usb stick will show the contents of the extracted iso image, which is what you need to be able to run ubuntu from it. You need to reboot your computer and boot from the usb stick to be able to run ubuntu.
    Last edited by ttshivers; April 15th, 2010 at 03:30 AM. Reason: Added info

Beans

Re: Can't see iso image on dvd, don't want contents

Quote Originally Posted by ttshivers View Post
    Make sure that the "disk image" selection is selected and also make sure that the image type is ISO not IMG. Also, after you run Unetbootin, the usb stick will show the contents of the extracted iso image, which is what you need to be able to run ubuntu from it. You need to reboot your computer and boot from the usb stick to be able to run ubuntu.
    I tried that, no luck.

Just found this:

mount -o loop myimage.iso /path/directory

The problem is, I don't know what the image is called.
    Last edited by drreed; April 15th, 2010 at 04:44 AM.

Beans

The iso name for the regular ubuntu 8.10 cd is "ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso"

Beans

The iso name for the regular ubuntu 8.10 cd is "ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso"

What would be the full path name to that file?

Beans

If the iso image is in the Downloads folder, then the path would be:
    Code:
    /home/travis/Downloads/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso

Beans

If the iso image is in the Downloads folder, then the path would be:
    Code:
    /home/travis/Downloads/ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso
    The iso image is on a cd in my cd/dvd-rw drive, referenced multiple ways . . .

Konquerer calls it /media:
    but I don't know what to put after that

The block device is called something else, like /dev/cd0 or something, and I can't see it when I display the directory for some reason.

I also have a /cdrom (which is a link) in my root folder.

It seems like I shouldn't have to know the name of the iso anyway -I should be able to list it in a directory, or see it in Konquerer, with the full path in the address bar.

In Windows, all I have to do is open the drive in file manager and there it is in all it's glory. I have to double-click on that iso, and have a iso utility, to see the contents. An annoyance sometimes, but certainly not when it's the iso I want to work with!

I find it hard to believe linux can't display the name of an iso file, with the full path to it's location. There should be 10 ways to do this.

Beans

Yes, I really agree. Linux should be able to do that much easier than Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by drreed View Post
    The iso image is on a cd in my cd/dvd-rw drive, referenced multiple ways . . .

Konquerer calls it /media:
    but I don't know what to put after that

The block device is called something else, like /dev/cd0 or something, and I can't see it when I display the directory for some reason.

I also have a /cdrom (which is a link) in my root folder.

It seems like I shouldn't have to know the name of the iso anyway -I should be able to list it in a directory, or see it in Konquerer, with the full path in the address bar.

In Windows, all I have to do is open the drive in file manager and there it is in all it's glory. I have to double-click on that iso, and have a iso utility, to see the contents. An annoyance sometimes, but certainly not when it's the iso I want to work with!

I find it hard to believe linux can't display the name of an iso file, with the full path to it's location. There should be 10 ways to do this.