Thread: Weak Signal

Beans

Weak Signal

Hi,

I'm very new to Ubuntu (9.10) and I just finished installing it. I have a problem with my wireless connection - I'm getting a weak signal ~50-60%. In windows, signal strength is usually 80%+. So far, I'm not getting disconnected or anything, just that the signal is pretty weak.

I've tried doing

sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-karmic
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-wireless-karmic-generic
    But nothing happened. BTW, if it matters, I've done an OS update first before running the above commands.

Here's the output of lshw

*-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: xxxxxx
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k ip=192.xxx.x.xxx latency=0 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bgn
    resources: irq:17 memory:f0100000-f010ffff

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Weak Signal

i operate through 3 walls at anywhere from about 45 to 60% (2 to 3 bars). 60% is plenty of signal strength. in fact, i would say that 60% is actually "pretty strong". just for fun, i am still planning to make some parabolic reflectors to see if i can get to 65 or 70%. i saw online a neat way to do it with styrofoam and wire mesh or aluminum foil. i have already drawn my parabola.

and if you have a detachable antenna on 5 feet of cable or so, be sure to move it around to different locations while observing signal strength. it can make a big difference. in may case where the computer is 3 walls away from the router, the signal can vary by 10 as i move it horizontally on a self, eg, between 40 and 50.

another edit, you're going to love Ubuntu. the only tasks i cannot do are taxes, and Nikon IV slide scanner. all else has moved to linux to include a print server(one printer for 3 house computers).

mark
    Last edited by mark bower; April 15th, 2010 at 03:33 AM.