Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Firefox or Chrome more secure?

Beans

Arrow Is Firefox or Chrome more secure?

I'd like to get some opinions concerning two different web browsers.
    (and just the two, please)
    Firefox and Google Chrome.
    I'm using both on different operating systems Linux/Windows.
    What I'd like an opinion on is which one is most secure.

Please just opinions on security, not how quick one is over the other, or style/implementation.
    Thank you in advance for any feed back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Is Firefox or Chrome more secure?

Not really security, but keep in mind that Google Chrome is from..... Google.
    It is already the most common used search-engine, webmail-provider, etc.
    It could be a security-risk in terms of privacy to also use Google Chrome.
    But I have no proven evidence it is. I only know that that's a major reason to me to keep away from Chrome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Chrome is the only browser that wasn't cracked at this years pwn2own. It wasn't cracked last year either. Google does make good products, BUT they also watch everything you do.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

What does "most secure" mean exactly in this context?

With web browsers, there will always be new security holes that are discovered and/or exploited... and then patched. Firefox will have unpatched vulnerabilities that then get patched, and then Chrome will also have unpatched vulnerabilities that later get patched. Out of the box, neither is perpetually 100% secure.

Apart from software flaws, a lot of the security of the browser relies on the user: What sites do you visit? What links to you click on? Do you sometimes mistype URLs? Have you set certain file types to automatically execute after downloading?

How paranoid are you? The out of the box setups on both Chrome and Firefox try to balance convenience with security. You can always install extensions or add-ons to make the security a bit more hardened, at the cost of some convenience. Firefox has an add-on called NoScript that blocks pretty much everything interactive (Java, JavaScript, Flash) unless you specifically and intentionally whitelist a website. If Chrome doesn't already have an extension like that, it probably will soon.

In the end, though, there is no 100% security. There is no invincibility on the internet. Even a trusted site can be cracked into on the server end and compromise your security and/or privacy.

If you have common sense and use the most up-to-date version of Chrome or Firefox, you'll probably be just as safe with either browser.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by new_tolinux View Post
    Not really security, but keep in mind that Google Chrome is from..... Google.
    It is already the most common used search-engine, webmail-provider, etc.
    It could be a security-risk in terms of privacy to also use Google Chrome.
    But I have no proven evidence it is. I only know that that's a major reason to me to keep away from Chrome.
    Same think here. I already use gmail and search. and thats alot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy the Headcrab View Post
    Chrome is the only browser that wasn't cracked at this years pwn2own. It wasn't cracked last year either. Google does make good products, BUT they also watch everything you do.
    I agree. I would say Firefox is more secure, in terms of the manufacturer monitoring you.
    Down with the New World Order and their establishment!

Beans

Question Re: Is Firefox or Chrome more secure?

OK, let me ask this, and before I do, let me say Google watching me doesn't bother me. But here's what might.
    Could a hacker get into Google themselves and get the information Google is storing on everyone ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Otis Spunkmiyer View Post
    OK, let me ask this, and before I do, let me say Google watching me doesn't bother me. But here's what might.
    Could a hacker get into Google themselves and get the information Google is storing on everyone ?
    Can someone break into your house?

Ofcourse they can.

Anything connected to the internet can be hacked.

Beans

Question Re: Is Firefox or Chrome more secure?

Can anyone without a doubt say Firefox stores no information on people ?
    What is Google's purpose in collecting information ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It depends on what you understand under secure. Secure as in respect to your privacy? Then choice would be pretty simple. Don't use Chrome. It's has closed-source parts so no matter what is promised something could (to the tin foil hat degree) always be hidden. If you still really want something crome-ish, use the open-source Chromium builds ... or Firefox. Personally I find Firefox allows a far more fine grained control
    over what the browser records, allows, blocks and so on, than any other browser I have tried (Chrome(ium), Midori, Opera, IE, ...). And it has tons of privacy related add-ons such as NoScript, AdBlock, Click2Flash, BetterPrivacy (although Chrome(ium) is catching up in this regard).

If you mean security from an exploitability stand-point I would say Chroe(ium) wins hands down. Chrome is the only browser besides IE on Windows to currently implement a proper sandboxing concept; isolating each webpage and with this greatly minimizing the harm (not the possibility) of exploits. So if this is the deciding factor than Chrome and Chromium would be your choice.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast