Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok scratch my head?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Ok scratch my head?

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The Code of Conduct asks members to be Considerate and respectful of others. If a posts causes offense then it is not meeting that goal.
    I think the COC could provide reasonable room from ribald humor and include all points of view including the poster. I could run around objecting to tons of posts, with good and valid personal reasons for doing so. Do you want people to do that... There will never be enough moderators for the job.

This kind of thing suggests moral justification, which implies religious conservatism and a violation of the COC. Respecting others viewpoints (ribald or otherwise) "If a person finds no value in a post why do they need to read or otherwise comment". I've brought this point up more than once myself and I believe you've supported it in spirit. If anything can be judged to be offensive to any member, or small group, all content is at risk, unless we rely on subjective interpretation alone and forget the COC.

The direction this seems to be going is an ever increasing level of restriction, which goes against the concepts of an open community and excludes not includes participation.
    Profit is a Necessary Element of Philanthropy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Your perception does not align with reality. From the beginning we have been a moderated forum with little to no tolerance for material that is not safe for work or school.

The image you posted would have been a problem five years ago just as it is today. No boss or teacher looking over someone's shoulder would consider the image appropriate for the workplace or classroom.

You have an answer. It is consistent with many years of historic activity in the forums. You need to accept that and choose to post those sorts of materials on your own site or blog or somewhere else where they are welcome.

I'm a bit annoyed at the fuss you are raising over our very consistent actions that are based on clearly stated guidelines and which did not even earn you a simple warning. Move on.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, I withdraw my complaint, but this was my basis for having questioned the action,
    The ritual taboo-breaking that is a usual counterpart of ribaldry underlies its controversial nature and explains why ribaldry is frequently a subject of censorship. Ribaldry, whose usual aim is not "merely" to be sexually stimulating, often does address larger concerns than mere sexual appetite. However, being presented in the form of comedy, these larger concerns seem to censors to be un-serious. Moreover, the presence of satirical content in ribaldry tends to arouse the wrath of authorities, who may overlook more explicit sexual entertainments in order to prosecute comedians whom they perceive as attacking conventions the authorities want to maintain.

I guess there is nothing I can do if people choose to see a sudo-sexual interpretation instead of satire. Or, the satire is judged to be offensive by some. In all honesty, I was laughing so hard when I posted the original image that any and all critical judgment was out the window. Now that I'm not laughing as hard I can see that it's placement on this forum is/was not ideal.

Best Regards: Mike
    Profit is a Necessary Element of Philanthropy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12