Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Network card not appearing

Beans

Wireless Network card not appearing

I am new to linux/ubuntu know around zip at the moment. I have installed ubuntu 9.10, it has picked up the wired network card but not the wireless.

I have a dlink dwl 520+ card hardware version A2 Firmware 1.0 * If I go to system -> administration -> network tools I can see the loopback interface and the ethernet card eth0 but no wireless card.

Could anyone point me in the direction on how to install this card any help appreciated thank you

Beans

Re: Wireless Network card not appearing

I have just run the following command lspci -v
    Not sure if this helps

The results are:

01:00.0 Network controller: Texas Instruments ACX 100 22Mbps Wireless Interface
    Subsytem: D-Link System Inc Device 3b01
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
    I/O ports at df20 [size=32]
    Memory at feaee000 (32 bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4k]
    Memory at feaf0000 (32 bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64k]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

if you right click on network connections at the top of your screen does it give you the option to 'enable wireless' or just to 'enable networking'?

Beans

Hi it only gives me enable networking

Beans
    Distro

Okay sorry it took me a while been researching this,
    as far as I can tell this project covers the driver you need --> http://acx100.sourceforge.net/wiki/Firmware
    I'm pretty new to ubuntu so don't want to try and give you too much direction from there but this table (http://web.archive.org/web/200605101..._fw/acx1xx.htm ) certainly shows you network card as being supported and the first link should tell you how to go about setting it up.
    Hope this helps,
    Eric

Beans
    Distro

A far easier method would be if you were able to connect to the internet using an ehternet cable and then you should be able to set it up through system > administration > hardware drivers.

Beans

Exclamation Re: Wireless Network card not appearing

All,

I am also having the same issue with my WiFi driver on my Laptop.

Laptop: HP Pavillion tx 2000 (Tablet)

Wifi Device: Broadcom BXCM4322

- The network icon at the top of the desktop only allows 'enable networking'

lspci -v - outputs all data about by boardcom card

lshw -C network also shows my wifi card. It does not show it as unclaimed.

I tried to see if the device was blacklisted, but the directory /etc/modprobe.d does not contain a file for board com devices. I edited blacklist-aith.pci and this also had no effect.

I am unable to use a wired connection because it to is not showing up as an active network connection.

This leads me to belive that the system can see and access these devices atleast from a HAL perspective but it is unable to use them.

These devices work in Win 2008 R2, Open Solaris, Ubuntu 9.08, and Kubuntu 9.something.

I have seen this post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307836 ) on this forum and tried everything they suggested, except for the apt-get (no network)

Please advise thanks!

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Wink Re: Wireless Network card not appearing

Quote Originally Posted by rexwhitten View Post
    All,

I am also having the same issue with my WiFi driver on my Laptop.

Laptop: HP Pavillion tx 2000 (Tablet)

Wifi Device: Broadcom BXCM4322

- The network icon at the top of the desktop only allows 'enable networking'

lspci -v - outputs all data about by boardcom card

lshw -C network also shows my wifi card. It does not show it as unclaimed.

I tried to see if the device was blacklisted, but the directory /etc/modprobe.d does not contain a file for board com devices. I edited blacklist-aith.pci and this also had no effect.

I am unable to use a wired connection because it to is not showing up as an active network connection.

This leads me to belive that the system can see and access these devices atleast from a HAL perspective but it is unable to use them.

These devices work in Win 2008 R2, Open Solaris, Ubuntu 9.08, and Kubuntu 9.something.

I have seen this post ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1307836 ) on this forum and tried everything they suggested, except for the apt-get (no network)

Please advise thanks!

There are a TON of posts here on getting Broadcom wireless working, however, in the interest of helping a newbie (and who knows - maybe I'll learn something too), please open your own post for this and then we'll work on your problem. We don't want to get 2 seperate strings going here since your problem and adapter are completely different than the OP's.

Dave

Beans

Thanks for the replies, I have not really got much further and to make things worse .. .from what I see this card only accepts wep. I have no idea what I am doing. Could some one please advise me which card to purchase, I am looking at D-Link Airplus Xtreme-G DWL-G520 it might be an easier route out there.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Here is a list of supported wireless cards. Some cards require finagaling some don't. Mine (netgear wg311v3) requires ndiswrapper and xp windows drivers to work for example.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wi...CardsSupported
    "You can't expect to hold supreme executive power just because some watery tart lobbed a sword at you"

"Don't let your mind wander -- it's too little to be let out alone."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast