Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Google chrome didn't shut down correctly." message after restart.

Beans

Re: "Google chrome didn't shut down correctly." message after restart.

This has been annoying me too. Its pretty nit-picky but I don't want to have chrome always ask me to restore tabs after a shutdown.

I want to be able to turn off my netbook, with chrome open and when I turn it back on for chrome to already have the tabs open, not always ask.

I wrote a script to close chrome properly when I shutdown/reboot.
    -------------------------
    cat /etc/init.d/killchrome.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    killall -I chrome
    -------------------------

If I run this it closes chrome, if I reboot, when chrome opens the tabs are properly restored. Made it executable. I made a link to this file in /etc/rc0.d and /etc/rc6.d naming the files K01killchrome.sh
    But a reboot or shutdown doesn't work. Chrome is still prematurely closed. After a reboot it asks to restore tabs... I also tried K99killchrome.sh

Anyone who knows about running scripts very early in the shutdown&reboot process please guide us in the right way. Thanks
    I ran
    Last edited by joshruehlig; May 5th, 2010 at 09:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

FWIW, Firefox behaves exactly as I would like chrome to - I can simply reboot with firefox open and when I log back in again, Firefox reopens exactly as I had left it.
    To err is human, but not uniquely so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by joshruehlig View Post
    Anyone who knows about running scripts very early in the shutdown&reboot process please guide us in the right way. Thanks
    I ran
    It seems like this is all...

And I have to admit, I'm rather interested in this also now. (even though I insulted the OP early on... sorry dude)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cong06 View Post
    Short of screwing around with chrome I'm not sure what you'd do.

I'm sure you know all about kill... It won't close the program the way it was "intended" since chrome probably has some mechanism to detecting if the program was closed the way it wanted.

I wonder how hard it would be to disable this feature.
    It's interesting because Firefox doesn't complain at all about being closed by an outside program.... well, sometimes it gives me "this is embarrassing" and then goes to restore all my tabs (even though it failed??)
    Kill has several different layers to it. there's the SIGTERM which signals the program to terminate as opposed to just terminating the program.

I just tried invoking kill like this:
    Code:
    kill -TERM $(pgrep chrom)
    and it's working to shutdown chromium. When i open up chromium again, it doesn't ask me to restore anything

Beans

renkinjutsu

kill -TERM $(pgrep chrom)

works just like the command I gave for chrome but does not work when putting in /etc/init.d/ and assigned runlevel 0 and 6

This would be cool to figure out, saves me a click when turning on the computer.

Something is killing chrome before my command can be run...

Beans

chrome is being killed before you command runs because the first thing that happens when you shutdown your computer is X terminates.. and when X terminates, all graphical applications go with it.

You can alias your shutdown command to do something like:
    Code:
    alias shuthalt='kill -TERM $(pgrep chrome); poweroff'
    or create an executable file that does that and use that file instead of the regular "shutdown" or "poweroff"

Beans

I still want to be able to turn of my computer with the power button, how I do it now so running a script wouldn't work. Thanks! So is that command persistent or do I need to run it every boot?

alias shuthalt='kill -TERM $(pgrep chrome); poweroff'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What would be interesting is to find out where this script is. Learn where the X server is killed, and insert the previously mentioned chrome kill command.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I would concur that the shutdown operation of Chrome is a little different than say Firefox. I don't find the difference objectionable but if you do file a bug. I just updated to "6.0.401.1 dev" but haven't yet rebooted with this new version.
    Thank a veteran -- George 8)
    Internet Coach & Writer
    Personal Blog -- 3 Joes' Blog

Beans

Yeah I wonder what is run when going into the shutdown and reboot runlevels. obviously something is run before stuff in the /etc/rc0.d folder.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast