Thread: Remix vs Regular on Starling. Advantages? Problems?

Beans

Remix vs Regular on Starling. Advantages? Problems?

I have been using 9.04 on my Starling and just upgraded to 9.10. I used the traditional Gnome display in 9.04, but it is not available in 9.10 so I have installed regular Ubuntu side by side with Netbook Remix. Frankly, I am not seeing any real advantages to the Remix. In fact, I don't much like the interface. I much prefer the traditional.

Am I missing something? Are there advantages to the remix in performance or display handling that I am overlooking--or is it just a matter of preference? I want to consolidate everything to one install and get on with my work. Hope some of you can enlighten me.

(By the way, I did search for threads on this topic, but didn't turn up anything that directly addressed my concerns. My apologies if I overlooked some.)

Thanks.

Chuc

Beans

Re: Remix vs Regular on Starling. Advantages? Problems?

http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr

Unr is optimiZed for net book class machines, in other words atom processors and low res screens.
    I do find the interface easier and faster to use with small screens then traditional ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I run Ubuntu NBR on my Starling and EeeBuntu Standard on my ASUS 900HA. As for user interface, I find both acceptable, but is just my opinion. The icons on my ASUS are really tiny, but luckily, I have strong bifocals.

As to your question, My experience is that both Ubuntu standard, and NBR should work with a Starling. If you decide to go with the Standard distro, there are a few things I would consider. First, make sure visual effects are turned off as they could be a real drain on the modest video capabilities of the Starling. Also, consider that System 76 only tests the Starling with NBR. So if there are any driver tweeks that Ubuntu makes for its's NBR version, those tweeks may not show up in the standard distro, making it less compatible with the Starling. Your install may require a bit more tweeking to get everything working.

Joe

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by edwinbmiller View Post
    http://www.canonical.com/projects/ubuntu/unr
    I do find the interface easier and faster to use with small screens then traditional ubuntu.
    Hmmm...I suspect you have more experience than me, but I don't detect a performance hit. Maybe I just haven't done anything processor intensive enough to matter. And maybe that is why I don't feel drawn to UNR.

In both UNR and standard, I have the same problem with the Starling. Some dialog boxes are taller than the shortened screen and I have to use the secret key combination I can never remember to drag the box up so I can see the buttons at the bottom of the screen. If UNR was able to do something about that problem, I would convert immediately! In the grand scheme of things, however, it is only a minor and occasional annoyance.

Thanks for the input. I am still thinking and testing. Hope this conversation is helpful to others as well.

All the best...

Chuc

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    First, make sure visual effects are turned off as they could be a real drain on the modest video capabilities of the Starling.
    That sounds like good advice. I believe I did that in my previous install, but had forgotten about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    Also, consider that System 76 only tests the Starling with NBR. So if there are any driver tweeks that Ubuntu makes for its's NBR version, those tweeks may not show up in the standard distro, making it less compatible with the Starling. Your install may require a bit more tweeking to get everything working.
    Now, that I hadn't thought about. Wonder what those "tweeks" might be, if there are such. Can we find out?

Thanks for the help!

Chuc

Beans

I don't own a Starling but I do own 2 Atom-based netbooks with similar specs (Asus EEE 900ha and Dell Mini 9). Here is my experience:

Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) is slightly slower, but it has a "launcher" interface that some users prefer on smaller screens. It uses a bit less hard drive space because it omits a couple of applications that are useless on netbooks (CD burner etc).

"Regular" Ubuntu uses the standard Gnome desktop. It is a bit quicker in my experience because the interface is less cluttered. I have absolutely no problem using Compiz desktop effects on either of my netbooks.

You can compare the exact differences, down to the last package, here:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ubuntu-desktop
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/ubuntu-netbook-remix

The core system (including the kernel) is the same. "UNR is specially optimized for the Atom" is a myth; the Atom is a very common processor that is well supported by all recent versions of the Linux kernel.

I prefer the Gnome desktop version for purely visual reasons, but if you prefer the launcher interface, there is no particular advantage or disadvantage to UNR in my opinion.

ps The "secret" to moving windows around is Alt+click and drag.
    Last edited by snowpine; April 14th, 2010 at 01:16 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    The core system (including the kernel) is the same. "UNR is specially optimized for the Atom" is a myth; the Atom is a very common processor that is well supported by all recent versions of the Linux kernel.
    This is what I began to suspect was true as I worked with both. If this is true, it reinforces my tendency toward the standard interface.

I prefer the Gnome desktop version for purely visual reasons, but if you prefer the launcher interface, there is no particular advantage or disadvantage to UNR in my opinion.
    I certainly see why folks would opt for the remix interface. Personally, I just prefer the standard. Maybe I am just more used to it.
    ps The "secret" to moving windows around is Alt+click and drag.
    Thanks! Unfortunately, I will probably forget it again by the time I need it again. I will just punch around until it works. It only takes a second to try all the bottom row possibilities.

Thanks!