Thread: Why no trivial option for folder sharing over internet?

Beans

Why no trivial option for folder sharing over internet?

Hi everybody,

I've been looking for a easy way for simple users (newbies) to share folders over the internet with friends. I found almost nothing about it, in both Windows and Ubuntu, as people usually recommend online sharing (as dropbox and Ubuntu One, which is not what I ask for) or ssh, ftp and related, which are usually not trivial to set up for simple user and you need to install a nice GUI for the client.

Why isn't there a simple way as a right-click menu option, then choosing some user/password and having it available over some iport? Something like local network file sharing.

This seems like an incredible tool to have...

I found this in brainstorms, but no update for a long time: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/5964/

Any opinions?

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Why no trivial option for folder sharing over internet?

The only program that I know for that is BaShare (in the repos), but you can't share a folder with it, only files. And if your friend sends you a file, a popup appears in your desktop and ask you to select a destination folder to save the file (you cant leave the program running and automatically recieve the files). It's not perfect, but maybe worth the try.

"La ciencia no tiene patria, porque el conocimiento es patrimonio de la humanidad, la llama que ilumina al mundo"