Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Netbook Choice for Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Netbook Choice for Ubuntu

Most of the time *** everything will work out of the box for any netbook.
    I bought an MSI Wind several months ago. The only problem i encountered was that i needed to flash my BIOS.
    The screen illumination was flickering constantly from bright to dark which gave it ahum... psychedelic effects.
    Mind you that flashing bios is a hassle on a netbook! MSI support site recommended to use a 3,5" floppy. Yes, a floppy... There is a way to do it on a usb flash disk, but it took me almost a weekend to get it working because it had to be done in DOS mode. So had to find a windows pc, figure out how to make a usb flash of 2GB bootable with DOS (isn't supported right away in windows)...
    This bios hiccup isnt brand-related but i do not know how other manufacturers handle their flashing methods.

Good luck !

Beans

Oh yes, and for the record: using another distro doesn't help either for this bios stuff.
    I ran netbook remix and Fedora 12 with the same result. Of course windows ran fine on the machine both before and after the flashing
    I now have dual boot win & F12 on it, just in case i ever need to make another bootable DOS usb drive...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by th5th View Post
    And is UNR 10.04 slated for release at the same time as the desktop edition?
    im pretty sure all the different versions come out on the same day, which will be at the end of this month.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12