Thread: I'm locked out of XFCE...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Cool I'm locked out of XFCE...

Don't know quite how this happened, well yes I do. I was logged into my XFCE session, and decided to try to change the window decoration at the top of each window, was tired of the default & wanted to see different ones.

So anyway I went into Window-Manager and clicked on the first one shown. Didn't like that one so I clicked on two more. The fourth one I clicked on suddenly made my Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2 system reboot. Not only that, after I entered my login info, it reboots right after the splash screen (the one with the spinning cog & the mouse running inside it) finishes. PooP, back to the Dell boot up screen then the Login screen. Lucky for me GNOME was still an option so I chose that, and ran Synaptic to see if perhaps removing XFWM and the Xubuntu packages & reinstalling them would work.

Sadly it still dies after the XFCE splash screen, but now it goes right to the login screen.

Should I just go back into Synaptic & remove everything connected to XFCE & then repick them? Or is there some text file that has the window manager themes listed & hopefully a backup of the original one in case the one I picked was one I added instead of a system supplied one?

Beans

Re: I'm locked out of XFCE...

This has happened to me when creating my own Xfwm themes. It's possible to segfault the window manager with a badly done theme. I'm kind of shocked that Xubuntu came with such a bug however.

There is a text file somewhere under ~/.config that stores your current xfwm theme. I am away from my Linux machine now, but I will post the location tomorrow if nobody has by that time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Found the .config file.
    Code:
    ~/.config/xfce4/xconf/xfce-perchannel.xml/xsettings.xml
    Login to recovery mode and edit this xml.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by MooPi; April 12th, 2010 at 04:41 AM.
    It's okay, I'm a limo driver

Beans

Actually the file MooPi gave contains the information for your Gtk+ theme, not your xfwm window manager theme. Edit the following file instead:

Code:
    ~/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfwm4.xml
    And find this line:
    Code:
     <property name="theme" type="string" value="Simian"/>
    Where value is equal to the window theme you chose which broke everything. Change it to some safe theme which you have installed. I don't know which themes Xubuntu comes with as I'm using Fedora, but you can do:
    Code:
    ls -l /usr/share/themes/* | grep -B 3 xfwm
    Which will list all of the themes you have installed which come with an xfwm theme. You can try "Xfce", "Sassandra", or "Redmond" which will probably be there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hmmmm.... used root terminal & tried this:
    Code:
    root@santafe-desktop:~# 
    root@santafe-desktop:~# cd ~/.config/
    root@santafe-desktop:~/.config# ls
    enchant  qtcurve  Trolltech.conf
    root@santafe-desktop:~/.config#
    Can't seem to find /XFCE4/ anywhere. Somethings messed up. May just reinstall the Xubuntu 10.04 Beta2 cd I burned & try again.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Beans

You shouldn't do that as root. When root cd's into "~" it will go into roots home directort (/root) which is not where your user settings are stored. Do those commands as your non-priveleged user and you should find it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Talking Re: I'm locked out of XFCE...

Quote Originally Posted by Simian Man View Post
    You shouldn't do that as root. When root cd's into "~" it will go into roots home directort (/root) which is not where your user settings are stored. Do those commands as your non-priveleged user and you should find it.
    Okay, thanks. But the point is kinda moot. While I was in GNOME I was looking in /usr/bin/ & found xfce4-settings-manager, which I right clicked on & picked Execute. Up popped the XFCE Settings window which had the Window Manager icon. Needless to say I was ecstatic. Picked one I KNEW worked and am back up. Why didn't I think of this in the first place? So I guess this one can be called Solved.
    Last edited by SantaFe; April 13th, 2010 at 03:39 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SantaFe View Post
    Okay, thanks. But the point is kinda moot. While I was in GNOME I was looking in /usr/bin/ & found xfce4-settings-manager, which I right clicked on & picked Execute. Up popped the XFCE Settings window which had the Window Manager icon. Needless to say I was ecstatic. Picked one I KNEW worked and am back up. Why didn't I think of this in the first place? So I guess this one can be called Solved.
    Ha ha, that is an easier solution isn't it?